Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I'm a first year at aberdeen uni studying Mechanical engineering. Basically, one of my modules is using computer aided design and right at the start of the year we had a test after our first 2 labs that counts towards our final grade. I really messed up this test because my mind wasn't in the right place I was distracted by issues at home and I wasn't comfortable using the software at that time as we only had 2 hours of teaching on it I'm pretty sure I only got 1/22 really pathetic I know. I know that the pass mark for the modules are 40% and since that test I have become a lot more comfortable with the software and have done well in the following assessments but I'm really worried that I may have already failed the module. Does anyone who goes or has been to aberdeen uni know if you have to get at least a certain amount of marks in every assessment to pass the course or if it is just 40% overall to pass? I'm so worried and embarrassed about this and I'd rather not have to ask my course head about this.

ReputationRep:
    In most Scottish universities you have to pass all modules with at least 40% during Year 1 and 2 to progress onto the honours years (3+4). I'm not sure if Aberdeen is the same but that's the case in Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    In most Scottish universities you have to pass all modules with at least 40% during Year 1 and 2 to progress onto the honours years (3+4). I'm not sure if Aberdeen is the same but that's the case in Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. A.
    Yeah I know about having to pass all the modules with 40% but my concern is if I have to pass every TEST within each module with 40%. For example:

Test 1 - 20%

Test 2 - 70%

Test 3 - 75%

Overall the mark would be above 40% but would I still fail the whole module because I failed one test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    Hi so I'm a first year at aberdeen uni studying Mechanical engineering. Basically, one of my modules is using computer aided design and right at the start of the year we had a test after our first 2 labs that counts towards our final grade. I really messed up this test because my mind wasn't in the right place I was distracted by issues at home and I wasn't comfortable using the software at that time as we only had 2 hours of teaching on it I'm pretty sure I only got 1/22 really pathetic I know. I know that the pass mark for the modules are 40% and since that test I have become a lot more comfortable with the software and have done well in the following assessments but I'm really worried that I may have already failed the module. Does anyone who goes or has been to aberdeen uni know if you have to get at least a certain amount of marks in every assessment to pass the course or if it is just 40% overall to pass? I'm so worried and embarrassed about this and I'd rather not have to ask my course head about this.
    Best course of action would be to speak or just send a quick email to your academic advisor and/or course tutor. You can probably resubmit the module coursework if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know about having to pass all the modules with 40% but my concern is if I have to pass every TEST within each module with 40%. For example:

Test 1 - 20%

Test 2 - 70%

Test 3 - 75%

Overall the mark would be above 40% but would I still fail the whole module because I failed one test?
    Oh right, no I don't think so. You might get called up by your lecturer to discuss what happened but so long as you pass each overall module at 40% you'll be fine. I failed my first year Chemistry experiment poorly (15%) and still passed the module without a question, so you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, no I don't think so. You might get called up by your lecturer to discuss what happened but so long as you pass each overall module at 40% you'll be fine. I failed my first year Chemistry experiment poorly (15%) and still passed the module without a question, so you'll be fine
    Oh phew thank you. This happened a couple of months ago but I saw a thread on here where people said that every uni is different and that some require you to pass every test so I started panicking. Looking back on it the test was super easy but like I say my mind was somewhere else and I'd had hardly any practice using the software.

ReputationRep:
    Oh phew thank you. This happened a couple of months ago but I saw a thread on here where people said that every uni is different and that some require you to pass every test so I started panicking. Looking back on it the test was super easy but like I say my mind was somewhere else and I'd had hardly any practice using the software.
    It is still worth asking your tutor or department just in case - I'm not an Aberdeen student myself!

Every university is different, the four Ancient Scottish unis do share some traits more than most though. Most universities I know of don't require you to pass every single test, because largely that seems unrealistic to anyone, if it only took one bad day/exam to get kicked off etc. You miiiight have to retake it, though.

Everyone will have at least one exam like that, I promise you. The chemistry experiment I failed was 1 of 2, I was convinced I failed the second and ended up with 85%, so honestly you might be pleasantly surprised. As I said it is worth asking your department (or personal tutor if you have one) about things if you're very worried

ReputationRep:
    It is still worth asking your tutor or department just in case - I'm not an Aberdeen student myself!

Every university is different, the four Ancient Scottish unis do share some traits more than most though. Most universities I know of don't require you to pass every single test, because largely that seems unrealistic to anyone, if it only took one bad day/exam to get kicked off etc. You miiiight have to retake it, though.

Everyone will have at least one exam like that, I promise you. The chemistry experiment I failed was 1 of 2, I was convinced I failed the second and ended up with 85%, so honestly you might be pleasantly surprised. As I said it is worth asking your department (or personal tutor if you have one) about things if you're very worried
    Thank you I sent an email to the course co-ordinator I hope it's good news.

ReputationRep:
    Good news I only need 40% overall thanks for all your help guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.