Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else suffer from pica? Watch

Announcements

It's a condition where you want to eat things that are not food or food ingredients that aren't usually eaten by itself like flour.

I have this overwhelming urge to eat rice grains and only after googling it I saw it's called Pica (reminds me of pikachu haha). Anyone else have it? Not sure if I should go to the docs or not
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

I thought it was more to do with eating things which aren't edible, such as metallic objects or plastic.

ReputationRep:
    Does eating paper count? :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    no I don't but I remember a lot of people did that as kids, and I know someone who hadn't grown out of it

(Original post by UWS)
    I don't.

I thought it was more to do with eating things which aren't edible, such as metallic objects or plastic.
    It's that too. Could be anything ranging from plastic, soil or sponges. Or ingredients of food that's not great to eat by itself.

(Original post by starfab)
    Does eating paper count? :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

no I don't but I remember a lot of people did that as kids, and I know someone who hadn't grown out of it
    I think they have pica if they haven't grown out of it and they tend to eat it or have the urge to a lot.

ReputationRep:
    does eating other people count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's a condition where you want to eat things that are not food or food ingredients that aren't usually eaten by itself like flour.

I have this overwhelming urge to eat rice grains and only after googling it I saw it's called Pica (reminds me of pikachu haha). Anyone else have it? Not sure if I should go to the docs or not
    This might sound weird but... there is a community on YouTube where people eat things like chalk, clay, cornstarch and coal... you should check it out! They are very friendly and accepting. I should know as I have also had personal experiences with PICA.

ReputationRep:
    I think they have pica if they haven't grown out of it and they tend to eat it or have the urge to a lot.
    Hmm what help can you get for this?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't self-diagnose based on a google search. Go to your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    See your doctor. You need to break the habit and you may be deficient in some vitamins/ minerals

(Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    This might sound weird but... there is a community on YouTube where people eat things like chalk, clay, cornstarch and coal... you should check it out! They are very friendly and accepting. I should know as I have also had personal experiences with PICA.
    Thanks I'll check them out, is there a particular account or..?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll check them out, is there a particular account or..?
    Erm no, there are loads; just type in 'eat chalk' on youtube and see where it gets you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by starfab)
    Hmm what help can you get for this?
    Prob going to the docs, something I'll do soon too. In some cases it could be linked to vitamin deficiencies or just a psychological thing. Either way, the doc should be able to find out.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Please don't self-diagnose based on a google search. Go to your doctor.
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    See your doctor. You need to break the habit and you may be deficient in some vitamins/ minerals
    Thanks I'll see a doc eventually.

(Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    Erm no, there are loads; just type in 'eat chalk' on youtube and see where it gets you!
    I will do. Thanks again

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.