Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im applying next year but want to be sure about which college Im applying to. Im planning on studying law but unsure of which college. I'd like a friendly college, preferably near the Law faculty, ensuite (but a reasonable rent), ovens in a kitchen, not too many tories (I've heard Downing has many of them), and is diverse (gender wise, race wise, religion wise). Any help?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrh)
    Im applying next year but want to be sure about which college Im applying to. Im planning on studying law but unsure of which college. I'd like a friendly college, preferably near the Law faculty, ensuite (but a reasonable rent), ovens in a kitchen, not too many tories (I've heard Downing has many of them), and is diverse (gender wise, race wise, religion wise). Any help?
    That will be your main problem.

All colleges are diverse both politically and every other way.

Ensuites tend to be more expensive generally, but some smaller ensuites can be cheap.

And no college is *that* far from anything at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That will be your main problem.

Will be or won’t be?

(Original post by nrh)
    Adding to what Doonsbury said already, there’s a very very few colleges where every room is en suite and in many cases ‘en suite’ just means a tiny shower cubicle in your room (and toilets in corrridor for communal use). And en suite room is always more expensive than non-en suite room.

Also, most colleges have off-main site accommodations, so it’s quite possible you’ll be living outside the main site which can be anywhere. So deciding on a college for its main site’s proximity to your department can be pointless.
    And Cambridge is a very small city. Whichever college you are with and whichever accommodation you live in, no university facility is further than 5-10 min bike ride.

Re atmosphere and political leaning, forget about it. They’re all friendly colleges with diversity. (There’s one college that’s always been said to be allegedly ‘full of tories’ but Downing is not them. And a key word here is ‘allegedly’)

Lastly, about 1/4 of successful applicants end up at a college that’s not their original choice because of their moderation system, and even they’re happy with wherever they end up at.
    So honestly worrying about which college to choose should be the least of your concern.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to decide is to go to an open day if you can to get a more precise idea of the colleges and if not internet is your best friend ^^
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.