Virtue Ethics Watch

PoppieCrean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I am analysing a piece of text for an ethics presentation. Its based on the work of Robert Louden who offers a critique of virtue ethics and its role in ethical decision making. His conclusion is as follows:

"It is important to see the ethics of virtue and the ethics of rules as adding up, rather than cancelling each other out. We need to begin efforts to coordinate irreducible or strong notions of virtue along with irreducible or strong conceptions of the various act notions into our conceptual scheme of morality".

So Louden basically wants to combine a rule based ethical theory with the virtue ethics approach of looking at our character and doing what the virtuous person would do. He believes this is the best approach to moral decision making. Obviously Louden's suggestion seems a great one but I wonder how we would actually go about achieving this. Surely, if this were possible and would give us all the answers why has this approach not been done already?

What do you guys think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (169)
35.5%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.53%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.99%