Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Notts and Exeter are AAA unis for many cases. Your question is vague. Leeds is okay albeit it's fairly weak overall but it's better than birmingham. Other unis you can look at are soton and sheffield I guess
    Yeah notts are A*AA-AAA and Exeter A*AA-AAB but not sure if I would fall under the lower offer. So you would say Leeds is the best AAA for econ then? Not including notts and exeter
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE2016Troop)
    but I much prefer Exeter's course.
    You've answered your own question.

(And there's still no rush...)

/Endthread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You've answered your own question.

(And there's still no rush...)

/Endthread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but it's not like the course is the sole determinant?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is more fun, but Exeter has a better reputation for economics and just academically in general.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it's not like the course is the sole determinant?
    Not the sole determinant but it is by far the most important factor. There's no point studying a course you don't much like for 3+ years. It also makes it less likely you will do well in the course.

ReputationRep:
    Both are semi targets but outside of IB Exeter is better. The graduate salary averages speak for themselves. Only reason I couldn't apply to Exeter was distance, but now I'm starting to rethink the importance of distance.

Remember, they are both "semi" targets for a reason. IB is ridiculously difficult to get into even at a target uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah notts are A*AA-AAA and Exeter A*AA-AAB but not sure if I would fall under the lower offer. So you would say Leeds is the best AAA for econ then? Not including notts and exeter
    Leeds would be best yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Both are semi targets but outside of IB Exeter is better. The graduate salary averages speak for themselves. Only reason I couldn't apply to Exeter was distance, but now I'm starting to rethink the importance of distance.

Remember, they are both "semi" targets for a reason. IB is ridiculously difficult to get into even at a target uni.
    Graduate salaries are a terrible way of looking at how good a uni is for career prospects

ReputationRep:
    Not the sole determinant but it is by far the most important factor. There's no point studying a course you don't much like for 3 years. It also makes it less likely you will do well in the course.
    Well I mean I prefer exeters course but apart from that I prefer Nottingham in every other department e.g. Distance, area, etc. That's why I'm struggling to decide
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Well I mean I prefer exeters course but apart from that I prefer Nottingham in every other department e.g. Distance, area, etc. That's why I'm struggling to decide
    Have you visited both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanderwoodsen)
    Exeter ranks above Nottingham in the Complete Uni Guide, The Guardian, The Times and Student Hut. But as the other poster has pointed out, Nottingham seems to have better links within the industry. It's your call to make, I would suggest looking into the career prospects/placement options as well.
    I would not base such a decision on what those three things say (what even is the Student Hut?). Those sorts of rankings change yearly (Nottingham might out-rank Exeter next year) and they are not good indicators of how established a university is (which is more important than the TSR version of 'reputation').

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haven't visited either as wasn't planning on applying to any but I think I'd prefer the larger city feel in comparison to the smaller Exeter
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Haven't visited either as wasn't planning on applying to any but I think I'd prefer the larger city feel in comparison to the smaller Exeter
    You have until 15th Jan to apply.

And they are both campus universities, not city-based as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    Nottingham is more fun, but Exeter has a better reputation for economics and just academically in general.
    I'm sorry but this isn't quite true. Exeter might rank a little bit higher on current league tables but Nottingham is generally more established (especially globally). Exeter has a very good reputation but this has only been acquired very recently (over the last few years). It doesn't have the same long-standing reputation as Nottingham.

But it's entirely down to preference. Generally, going to one won't provide more advantage over the other.

ReputationRep:
    You have until 15th Jan to apply.

And they are both campus universities, not city-based as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but Nottingham and the surrounding area would be bigger with obviously more places/nightlife in comparison to the smaller Exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    how did you reach that conclusion?
    doesn't nottingham rank above exeter in economics in all league tables for many years?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want from either university, but they're both good for industry links. Nottingham, however, is consistently better for economics than Exeter and has a great sports vibe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Depends what you want from either university, but they're both good for industry links. Nottingham, however, is consistently better for economics than Exeter and has a great sports vibe.
    Consistently better based off what?

ReputationRep:
    They're essentially the same lmfao. There'd be like 0 difference between them no matter the profession you want to go into. For IB, they're both semi-targets. Reputation wise, there is essentially not much between them at all. League tables are pretty bad indicators of 'prestige' imo.

If you prefer Exeters course, go for it. You wouldn't be in a worse spot if you picked one over the other.

ReputationRep:
    Consistently better based off what?
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...gs?s=economics is the most realistic for course rep compared to The Guardian and others.

But as other people are saying, don't take league tables into consideration, but more of what you actually like from either institution.

What's the rush about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.