Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences/ feelings as me.
    (Sorry this post may be long).
    So I originally studied Pharmacology, but decided to leave due to feeling as though it wasn’t really for me. I wanted more contact with patients, but really enjoyed learning about medications and how science based it was. It was a tough choice, but I left and got on to adult nursing.
    In my first year, I enjoyed my mental health placement and didn’t find the health visiting bad at all. I then went onto a ward and was overwhelmed. I was really questioning my decision and going home, crying, asking what have I done?!
    I got through it, but was very much decided an inpatient medical/surgical ward was not the way for me. My sister is a nurse prescriber in a doctors surgery, which I think seems interesting, so I knew I didn’t HAVE to be ward based in my career.
    Second year approached, still a bit weary of nursing and wondering if I’d made the correct decision I carried on... I absolutely LOVED second year, I had a placement on a day unit which I absolutely adored, I felt so lucky and I was like right this is the career for me. It involved blood transfusions and other treatments, so involved science and paient contact. Then it was my district nursing placement and thought that was okay, and then I was on A&E, another one I really enjoyed.
    I had so much motivation, third year commenced and I was really enjoying the theory at uni. FINALLY I felt really comfortable with my choice, motivated and feeling like I would really like to work on the day unit I was on, once I qualify.

Now I’m on my main placement for third year, where I have to stay for around 18 weeks. It’s split, I am doing 5 now and 13 later next year and I absolutely HATE it. I’m gutted I don’t like it, but I feel like I’m back to square one. I don’t know if there are many jobs on the day unit and the chances of me getting on that may be slim, I don’t know where else I’d want to work because I loved it so much. Im scared I’m going to end up hating my job and that it will be ward based. I’ve lost all motivation again. I’ve come so far and felt so positive throughout 2nd year and the start of 3rd, but now I’m thinking how am I even going to get through the rest of this placement when I know I have to do it for about 3 and a half months again in the spring.
    I don’t think I’ll be able to change this placement just because I don’t like it. The staff seem really nice but I am really really not enjoying it.
    Any advice would be helpful x

ReputationRep:
    just tough it out and then pick an area you liked. your not required to work in an area your not interested in. not everyone is keen on ward based nursing. community is very different. as you saw. good luck on your future and dont give up.

ReputationRep:
    There will always be job vacancies around, even in the area you like. The NHS need nurses more than ever, so don’t give up. You may not like the ward, but sometimes we have to go through things we don’t like in order to reach our goals and achievements.

Continue to motivate yourself and just find the strength to manage the placements. Before you know it, you’ll be a qualified nurse working in your favourite department.

Good luck :-) x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.