Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My parents force me to be religious, what do I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents are Christian and they force me to do religious things.
    They make me pray everyday with them at around 6:00PM. (This lasts 15-20 minutes).
    They make me go to church every Sunday.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they FORCE me to go to mass which is Konkani. Konkani songs, prayers, etc. Not even a single english word is spoken!
    I have told them that I do not want to go to mass because I cannot understand a thing they say, but I am still obliged to attend every Sunday.

Think this can't be more annoying?
    Before Easter/Christmas, there are key events which occur. These consist of:
    Maundy Thursday, good Friday, the stations of the cross, holy Saturday and finally Palm Sunday.

I need to go to church for FOUR DAYS IN A ROW!
    The stations of the cross and good Friday are on the same day.
    Christmas mass lasts more than two hours.

All of the time spent in church adds up pretty quickly...

Is my only option to wait until I'm 18 (in four years) and can move out?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that this is happening. This kind of pressure is never good parenting, imho :nope:

Sadly, I don't see many other options for you, unless you have a family member or a member of your church's community who might be on your side and be able to talk some sense into your parents? :dontknow:

:console:

(Original post by brianrodrigues)
    Both my parents are Christian and they force me to do religious things.
    They make me pray everyday with them at around 6:00PM. (This lasts 15-20 minutes).
    They make me go to church every Sunday.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they FORCE me to go to mass which is Konkani. Konkani songs, prayers, etc. Not even a single english word is spoken!
    I have told them that I do not want to go to mass because I cannot understand a thing they say, but I am still obliged to attend every Sunday.

Think this can't be more annoying?
    Before Easter/Christmas, there are key events which occur. These consist of:
    Maundy Thursday, good Friday, the stations of the cross, holy Saturday and finally Palm Sunday.

I need to go to church for FOUR DAYS IN A ROW!
    The stations of the cross and good Friday are on the same day.
    Christmas mass lasts more than two hours.

All of the time spent in church adds up pretty quickly...

Is my only option to wait until I'm 18 (in four years) and can move out?
    just talk with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a family member other than your parents you're somewhat close to, talk about it to them. They might be able to help you get the message across. Just a a pure guess, your parents may be ignorant and think that you're unable to make your mind up on these things and will "see the light" at some point. Of course you're 110% able to make your mind up and you're probably not going to end up religious, so if you can get another family member to back you up, you and them might be able to get the message across to your parents that you just don't believe in this stuff and don't like being dragged along. I'd try and compromise and just tell them you don't want to go to church as often as a start.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The other thing you can do, though I'm not sure I advise it, is to simply rebel and ignore them. If they physically intervene to force you to pray or to take part in their religion then at that point you would speak to a trusted adult either in school or elsewhere and one way or another, it would stop. You are allowed to believe and practice whatever you want.

See what their reaction would be if you were to refuse outright, don't buckle under the pressure. The reality is, they might punish you by taking things away or what have you, but they will eventually have to get the message. I hate this attitude amongst strongly religious people. It's sickening.

ReputationRep:
    Best to wait till you're 18 and move out. Sorry to hear of this

ReputationRep:
    do you not enjoy doing all these christian things, or do you just not want to be religious overall?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately there's not much you can do because you're still a child. Echoing the above responses, talk to another family member or close family friend. Your parents probably think that being religious is the best thing for you, so they're probably scared that if you aren't religious you'll stray. They want to keep you safe, but without realising it they're actually suffocating you and pushing you away.

ReputationRep:
    just suck it up until you are old enough to leave.

ReputationRep:
    You could refuse but you could look at it as an opportunity to learn about religion. I know your not religious but try to Embrace it and try to understand what your parents believe in as it is apart of their life. As your under 18 you’ll have to just put up with it. You might even appreciate it when your older even though you may not see it now. Go to the events with an open mind otherwise you’ll make the whole experience worse for yourself
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sit down with them and really have a serious talk. Only way tbh fight your fears.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry.

Perhaps my response is bias as an atheist but I am against parents "forcing religion down their children's throats". I respect religion and those who practice it for peaceful reasons, etc, but I believe religion should be the choice of the individual.

Hence, I disagree with what your parents are doing although I imagine they only want you to find "good" in the religion.

I often felt very trapped in my family growing up (for other reasons) around your age until I could leave at 18. In your situation, I imagine I'd just sort of "grin and bear it" until finally I can move out. Four years is a long time but... I don't know what else to suggest.

One of my friends had parents who pressured a lot of religion onto him which then lead to a very rebellious stage for him which didn't end well but he got back on his feet and actually found the religion again but on his own terms and not his parent's.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.