Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a German speaking exam very soon. I have just a quick question. Will I lose marks if I don't use the past tense, even though all questions refer to the present or future? I'm hoping that an unprepared question will come up where I can demonstrate the past tense though. But will I lose marks? I've heard that you should demonstrate all tenses in order to gain higher marks. I have said ich bin....gestresst but I think that's it.

Exam board: CCEA

ReputationRep:
    You have to demonstrate in your oral that you are able to use all the tenses, so yes you must work in the past tense somewhere in there, even if it is just one sentence.
    Good luck for your exam!

ReputationRep:
    when i did my AQA gcse german speaking (or writing) my teacher always told us to have at least two examples of three tenses. so just try to add another sentence or two of the structure, "ich habe....ge(verb)", because you cant depend on that surprise question because if you are unable to insert the past tense, or you forget, you will only have one example of the past tense and it wont look as good as say three examples. any tenses you have in your speech, make sure there are at least (imo) two other sentences of the same tense to show you are consistent and comfortable with tenses

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you both for the help. I will ensure I have used all three tenses enough times.

ReputationRep:
    If you essay as a whole is very good, then you will at most lose only a couple of marks for getting a tense wrong. However if the only time you use a tense is incorrectly then you will be marked down for not knowing it well enough. Make sure you write a couple practice essays in each tense and get the teacher to mark them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.