Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I would like to go back to University and pursue Psychology with the aim of becoming a Chartered Psychologist. I realise that it could take up to 10 years given all the post grad training involved but I don't mind.

I'll give you some background of myself.

1999 GCSE's:

A - IT
    B - Maths
    B, B - Double Science
    B - Electronics
    C, C - English Language & Lit
    D - Business Studies
    E - German

2001 A-Levels:

E - IT
    E - Business Studies

2002 - 2003:

HND Business IT (Leeds Metropolitan Uni)

2004:

BSc(Hons) Business IT 2:1 (Leeds Metropolitan Uni) <<<1 Year top up>>>

2004 - 2012 - Worked various jobs mainly in Banking and IT.

2012 - 2015 - I took voluntary redundancy from a large UK Bank and went and lived in Thailand to learn Thai Boxing and teach English.

2015 - Present - I got back in 2015 and I've been working part time in a supermarket and doing a bit of manual labour whilst I decide what to do. But now I'm unemployed.

Obviously my A Level results are terrible. I should really of stopped and re-evaluated at this point but I saw everyone else was going to Uni so I did the 2 year HND and then a year top up to get a degree. I was young and short sighted at the time and I went to Uni mainly to get out of my parents house and to live the student life. Although I did work hard at Uni to get the 2:1.

Tbh I was too young to decide what I wanted to do but just went with what I was good at. I was good at IT but not really passionate about it.

Why Psychology?

I've had a lot of issues in my life (depression/anxiety/bullied etc) but I found help in the following:

- Self Help and Psychology books
    - Group therapy which helped me realise I wasn't alone with my problems
    - One-to-one Therapy with a Chartered Psychologist which has been an immense help and is probably the main inspiration for wanting to study.

I often spend time reading Psychology/Self Help books so I feel studying it would not feel like work as I would want to read the material anyway. Don't get me wrong though I realise studying for a degree is no joke and will take dedication and effort.

I feel that because I have been through things like depression and anxiety I would be able to help people who have similar problems.

What now?

The other day I went to an Open Day at Gold Smiths College and I explained my situation and qualifications and they said I could probably get a place on their BSc Psychology program. I was surprised because I thought I'd have to redo my A-Levels or do an Access Course. I'm really tempted to just go for this but want to just research things a bit more.

I also went to the open day at London Met and they said I could get a place on their Masters Program! Which I was very surprised at given how long I graduated and my poor A-Levels. Obviously I realise they are not highly ranked.

Ideally I'd like to go to a well ranked and respected Uni. Preferably in London but I'm open to relocate. I would really like to go to Kings College or some other top Uni in the area but I've got a feeling that they won't let me in even though Goldsmiths and London Met will.

So, what do you guys think and what are my options? I'm guessing the higher ranked Uni's will want an Access Course/A Levels.

Any input would be great, thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by healthydude)
    Hello everyone,

I would like to go back to University and pursue Psychology with the aim of becoming a Chartered Psychologist. I realise that it could take up to 10 years given all the post grad training involved but I don't mind.

1999 GCSE's:

A - IT
    B - Maths
    B, B - Double Science
    B - Electronics
    D - Business Studies
    E - German

2001 A-Levels:

E - IT
    E - Business Studies

2002 - 2003:

2004:

2012 - 2015 - I took voluntary redundancy from a large UK Bank and went and lived in Thailand to learn Thai Boxing and teach English.

2015 - Present - I got back in 2015 and I've been working part time in a supermarket and doing a bit of manual labour whilst I decide what to do. But now I'm unemployed.

Obviously my A Level results are terrible. I should really of stopped and re-evaluated at this point but I saw everyone else was going to Uni so I did the 2 year HND and then a year top up to get a degree. I was young and short sighted at the time and I went to Uni mainly to get out of my parents house and to live the student life. Although I did work hard at Uni to get the 2:1.

Tbh I was too young to decide what I wanted to do but just went with what I was good at. I was good at IT but not really passionate about it.

Why Psychology?

I've had a lot of issues in my life (depression/anxiety/bullied etc) but I found help in the following:

- One-to-one Therapy with a Chartered Psychologist which has been an immense help and is probably the main inspiration for wanting to study.

I often spend time reading Psychology/Self Help books so I feel studying it would not feel like work as I would want to read the material anyway. Don't get me wrong though I realise studying for a degree is no joke and will take dedication and effort.

I feel that because I have been through things like depression and anxiety I would be able to help people who have similar problems.

What now?

The other day I went to an Open Day at Gold Smiths College and I explained my situation and qualifications and they said I could probably get a place on their BSc Psychology program. I was surprised because I thought I'd have to redo my A-Levels or do an Access Course. I'm really tempted to just go for this but want to just research things a bit more.

I also went to the open day at London Met and they said I could get a place on their Masters Program! Which I was very surprised at given how long I graduated and my poor A-Levels. Obviously I realise they are not highly ranked.

Ideally I'd like to go to a well ranked and respected Uni. Preferably in London but I'm open to relocate. I would really like to go to Kings College or some other top Uni in the area but I've got a feeling that they won't let me in even though Goldsmiths and London Met will.

So, what do you guys think and what are my options? I'm guessing the higher ranked Uni's will want an Access Course/A Levels.

Have you considered how you might fund your degree? you might not be eligible for any full time loans what so ever.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what your vision is mate, if you're aiming for the elite unis get back to school and get yourself some decent A-Levels alternatively a growing number of sites now offer courses online this may be more practical for you. Many in a similar circumstance as you would probably opt for the Open University since the prospects are good in terms of employability and studying is convenient since courses are delivered online as well.
    I don't think it will take you a decade to graduate, ofc to gain chartered status it will take around that time. However if you go through OU you could then pursue a Masters at a more prestigious uni which would inevitability quicken the time to achieve chartered status providing you get a good 3-4 years of course-related experience under your belt.
    All the best!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by healthydude)
    Hello everyone,

1999 GCSE's:

A - IT
    B - Maths
    B, B - Double Science
    B - Electronics
    D - Business Studies
    E - German

2001 A-Levels:

E - IT
    E - Business Studies

2002 - 2003:

2004:

Why Psychology?

What now?

What Clare said at #2. Funding is the most obvious issue. How are you intending to do it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd take whatever is most convenient to be honest to make it as easy as possible for your lifestyle.

Chartered Psychology is an extremely competitive work field though- I'd be looking to volunteer for a relevant body.

And so yes- with studying and volunteering- finding time for work can be problematic; so the issue of funding is pertinent.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding funding, I've got some savings plus I'm a landlord. I don't mind working part time either.

ReputationRep:
    I guess one of the scenarios could be accepted to do a Masters at London Met but declined to do a BSc at Kings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.