Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career/Degree choices Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a student who is currently in the first year of A levels. I have been gifted with very strong mathematical ability, and have an interest in studying engineering at university. However, I have read that engineers are undervalued in the U.K., and I don't want to follow a career path in which I am underpaid and overworked. The alternative for me is to just go down the generic medicine path, which I am also interested in (though not as much) and doctors are highly valued in this country. What advice/alternative suggestions does anyone have?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know much about engineering but I know that yes doctors in the UK are highly valued but they are also overworked and underpaid with the current NHS crisis.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_\1100)
    I am a student who is currently in the first year of A levels. I have been gifted with very strong mathematical ability, and have an interest in studying engineering at university. However, I have read that engineers are undervalued in the U.K., and I don't want to follow a career path in which I am underpaid and overworked. The alternative for me is to just go down the generic medicine path, which I am also interested in (though not as much) and doctors are highly valued in this country. What advice/alternative suggestions does anyone have?
    Just tagging in Sheffield Hallam University

(Original post by University Centre Hastings)
    x
    US;mso-bidi-l���*
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

The first question I wanted to ask you was where you got your information about engineers?

I was also wondering if you have done any work experience as an engineer? Local companies will often take on young people for a week or two who are interested in learning about the profession. Sometimes you just have to ring and ask.

Also, you mention you have a strong mathematical ability? Can I ask if you enjoy maths as a subject on its own?

Jordan
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Billy_\1100

Contrary to what you may have heard, engineering graduates actually have some of the highest starting salaries in the UK. It is good that you are considering alternatives, but in general you will be more successful on a course that you are enthusiastic about, so if engineering interests you most then go for it.

What area of engineering are you most interested in?

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Do some work experience in sectors that interest you to help you decide...also what about studying maths as a degree?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.