Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Tinder date - what to expect? Watch

So basically soon I'm going out with a boy a met on Tinder, we are going for a drink and I don't know what to expect.
    I've only had one date in my life, that then resulted in a 2 years long relationship, so I'm not used to go on dates...
    Like... what should I drink? Shots might be too much for a first date, I don't like beer and wine might be a little posh.
    Is he expecting to get laid? I'm not going to have sex with him on our first date, should I make this clear right away?
    What should I wear?

ReputationRep:
    They key is not to expect anything, or have low expectations at that. You'll be putting pressure on both of you if you go into it thinking it will be the best night of your life.

I like to see first dates as just hanging out with a mate, that way it takes the edge off from nerves. Obviously start off drinking something light, though that would depend on what environment you're in. If you're in a pub then I would say wine is fine. I do think you should make it clear BEFORE meeting that you're not looking to hook up. It's important to lay out your intentions on the table right away incase signals get unclear of what you both want.

In terms of what you wear - wear whatever makes you feel comfortable! Whatever makes you feel good when you look in the mirror. Again, if it's just a pub/club, a shirt and jeans is fine, as would a dress.

Try and stay in public on the first date. In all honestly, you might not know this guy as well as you think, so you have every right to be cautious and he should respect that. The first date should be spent getting to know each other, and just having fun.

Most importantly just be yourself and be safe. Apologies for having to give the 'be safe' speech but I do feel like it's important.

(Original post by Lucarious30)
    They key is not to expect anything, or have low expectations at that. You'll be putting pressure on both of you if you go into it thinking it will be the best night of your life.

I like to see first dates as just hanging out with a mate, that way it takes the edge off from nerves. Obviously start off drinking something light, though that would depend on what environment you're in. If you're in a pub then I would say wine is fine. I do think you should make it clear BEFORE meeting that you're not looking to hook up. It's important to lay out your intentions on the table right away incase signals get unclear of what you both want.

In terms of what you wear - wear whatever makes you feel comfortable! Whatever makes you feel good when you look in the mirror. Again, if it's just a pub/club, a shirt and jeans is fine, as would a dress.

Try and stay in public on the first date. In all honestly, you might not know this guy as well as you think, so you have every right to be cautious and he should respect that. The first date should be spent getting to know each other, and just having fun.

Most importantly just be yourself and be safe. Apologies for having to give the 'be safe' speech but I do feel like it's important.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically soon I'm going out with a boy a met on Tinder, we are going for a drink and I don't know what to expect.
    I've only had one date in my life, that then resulted in a 2 years long relationship, so I'm not used to go on dates...
    Like... what should I drink? Shots might be too much for a first date, I don't like beer and wine might be a little posh.
    Is he expecting to get laid? I'm not going to have sex with him on our first date, should I make this clear right away?
    What should I wear?

If you were a dude making this topic about a first Tinder date with a Tinder girl I would say expect her not to show up........

ReputationRep:
    He thinks he will get laid for sure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.