Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any good tutors who are good at prepping for oxbridge maths interview?

ReputationRep:
    If you think wasting your money will help you get in, then you're probably not smart enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StayWoke)
    If you think wasting your money will help you get in, then you're probably not smart enough.
    for someone who cant even make bmo2, u really shouldnt be talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divermat)
    Does anyone know of any good tutors who are good at prepping for oxbridge maths interview?
    Aren't your school organising practice interviews etc?

ReputationRep:
    for someone who cant even make bmo2, u really shouldnt be talking.
    I'm in year 12 and haven't even sat bmo1 yet, please calm yourself rakesh, my point above still stands

ReputationRep:
    Do STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Lau)
    Do STEP.
    I will try that, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a tutor for the interview itself certainly will not help anything. What could happen is you get someone who believes that the interview is all about questions like "why do you love your subject" and "what have you done to show that you love maths" and "what sort of person would you say you are". If someone expects these sort of questions then they are in for a massive shock when they actually have the interview. It's all about solving complex problems, working the problems, HOW you react to unknown and difficult contexts/questions - how you get to the answer.

But as said above, practice STEP over and over again until you get it. It is often a heavily underestimated exam. It's very difficult. Something like over 50% of people fail the STEP even when they get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGiant)
    Getting a tutor for the interview itself certainly will not help anything. What could happen is you get someone who believes that the interview is all about questions like "why do you love your subject" and "what have you done to show that you love maths" and "what sort of person would you say you are". If someone expects these sort of questions then they are in for a massive shock when they actually have the interview. It's all about solving complex problems, working the problems, HOW you react to unknown and difficult contexts/questions - how you get to the answer.

But as said above, practice STEP over and over again until you get it. It is often a heavily underestimated exam. It's very difficult. Something like over 50% of people fail the STEP even when they get an offer.
    which step to be exact?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    which step to be exact?
    STEP I might help for interviews. Also MAT.

Basically, do lots of hard maths....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    STEP I might help for interviews. Also MAT.

Basically, do lots of hard maths....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the end of the interview, the tutors as you if you have any questions. Would it make a difference if you ask what they had for breakfast or something like what is your research area/ interesting question about your subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and haven't even sat bmo1 yet, please calm yourself rakesh, my point above still stands
    it's okay dont be defensive, we get it , u are in year 12 and u havent made bmo2, dont feel bad.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    At the end of the interview, the tutors as you if you have any questions. Would it make a difference if you ask what they had for breakfast or something like what is your research area/ interesting question about your subject.
    If your one chance of interacting with a leading researcher/fellow in your field of interest is to ask them what they had for breakfast then no it won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If your one chance of interacting with a leading researcher/fellow in your field of interest is to ask them what they had for breakfast then no it won't make a difference.
    If I get in there are plenty of time to ask these questions. I am just asking does the question askd affect ur chances.

ReputationRep:
    it's okay dont be defensive, we get it , u are in year 12 and u havent made bmo2, dont feel bad.
    Sandeep, based on the questions you're asking, you don't have much to gloat about either.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sandeep, based on the questions you're asking, you don't have much to gloat about either.
    why are u calling me indian names? still more than u kiddo
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If I get in there are plenty of time to ask these questions. I am just asking does the question askd affect ur chances.
    Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.