Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with these questions? I'm really struggling to understand and my lecturer is not helpful. I really want to understand so any answers or tips/advice for future problems similar or good ways to get your head around magnetic moments and transitional metal chemistry would be really great!

1. Name the following compounds (do not worry about positional isomers): a) K4[Ni(CN)6]
    b) [Ni(CN)(NHEt2)2(NH3)]ClO4
    2. Write out the correct molecular formulae for the following:
    a) Rubidium bromobis(dimethylamido)trispyrid inecobaltate(II)
    b) Diamminebis(ethylenediamine)chro mium(III) hexacyanoferrate(II)
    3. Calculate the magnetic moments for the compounds K[MnCl4] and K3[Mn(CN)6] and explain which one is likely to be more highly coloured.
    4. Explain, with the aid of a molecular orbital diagram, how the value of Δo changes for a d1 metal when ligands with no π bonding component, such as NH3 are replaced by π acceptor ligands like phosphines.
    5. Is [Mo(CO)7] likely to be stable?

I think I may have got Q1. Is......
    a = potassium hexacyanonickelate(II) ???
    b = ammine bis(diethylamine) cyanonickel (II) perchlorate

Thank you for the help in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.