Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What more can I do to add to my ucas/personal statement? (Im in yr 12) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I’m in year 12 currently and I know I’m thinking a lil far ahead of myself but I was wondering what else I could do to enhance my ucas or personal statement. These are my achievements so far:

-I am a grade 6 dancer in the dance form kathak (Indian classical). With Dance I have performed in many prestigious places such as the royal Albert hall, Westminster and south bank centre
    -I’m the vice chair of my schools government and politics society
    -I have a language leader award (basically taught lil kids basic mandarin and held a 30 min lesson)
    -done some work experience with my local mp and on RBC
    -been form leader/school councillor and charity rep
    -worked at a charity shop for almost 2 years

I’m also thinking of doing law as a degree.
    If u have any ideas what i can do further pls let me know )
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tan_00)
    Hi guys,
    I’m in year 12 currently and I know I’m thinking a lil far ahead of myself but I was wondering what else I could do to enhance my ucas or personal statement. These are my achievements so far:

-I am a grade 6 dancer in the dance form kathak (Indian classical). With Dance I have performed in many prestigious places such as the royal Albert hall, Westminster and south bank centre
    -I have a language leader award (basically taught lil kids basic mandarin and held a 30 min lesson)

Just look read into relevant law books and perhaps get some law related work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Just look read into relevant law books and perhaps get some law related work experience
    Already reading some law books! But thanks for ur advice will Continue reading more!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

A similar thread like this has already been made where Avaia posted a very good response. Here's what they said:

1. 'Okay, so there is a lot that you can do to make yourself stand out, and some of them aren’t so obvious:

Mini-pupillage, they are not that easy to get, but if you can secure one then you are gonna be laughing, they are amazing experiences to see what it is like being a barrister and they look great on a PS

Law work, contact law offices in your town, see if they need an intern, somebody to do paperwork or filing, any help at all. It gives you experience in a legal environment

Retail work, initially working in Poundland doesn’t seem great, but when you relate it to consumer rights, contract law and your advocacy skills. Suddenly it seems better, most jobs that you can do can be related to the law. Whether it be public safety, people rights, contracts etc. You just have to find a way to relate the things you have done to the skills you need as a lawyer. Where have you demonstrated impeccable time management? Where have you shown that you think outside the box? Have you done any roles that require research?

Go to court! Seriously, a number of people who say they want to become a lawyer who have never stepped foot in a courtroom is scary, you will have a Magistrates and Crown-court fairly close to you, go there! Watch cases, watch trials, speak to barristers, clerks, judges, WPS. Get to know what it is like, and again, it shows that you have an extra interest outside of studies

Read! Read law books, research legislation, get a quote that really hits home for you and use it in your personal statement (just don’t overdo them, and don’t use ones everybody uses). Research a specific and unique area of law that interests you, this shows that you have gone above and beyond and are now looking deeper than just tort and crime, for me CSE law is what gets me.

Try to join law societies, most require you to be an undergrad, but some will make exceptions! You don’t get if you don’t ask, look up CILEx, and search your city name followed by ‘law society’, see what comes up 😊

Hope this helps 😊'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    A similar thread like this has already been made where Avaia posted a very good response. Here's what they said:
    Thanks for the repost 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)

1. 'Okay, so there is a lot that you can do to make yourself stand out, and some of them aren’t so obvious:

Mini-pupillage, they are not that easy to get, but if you can secure one then you are gonna be laughing, they are amazing experiences to see what it is like being a barrister and they look great on a PS

Law work, contact law offices in your town, see if they need an intern, somebody to do paperwork or filing, any help at all. It gives you experience in a legal environment

Retail work, initially working in Poundland doesn’t seem great, but when you relate it to consumer rights, contract law and your advocacy skills. Suddenly it seems better, most jobs that you can do can be related to the law. Whether it be public safety, people rights, contracts etc. You just have to find a way to relate the things you have done to the skills you need as a lawyer. Where have you demonstrated impeccable time management? Where have you shown that you think outside the box? Have you done any roles that require research?

Go to court! Seriously, a number of people who say they want to become a lawyer who have never stepped foot in a courtroom is scary, you will have a Magistrates and Crown-court fairly close to you, go there! Watch cases, watch trials, speak to barristers, clerks, judges, WPS. Get to know what it is like, and again, it shows that you have an extra interest outside of studies

Read! Read law books, research legislation, get a quote that really hits home for you and use it in your personal statement (just don’t overdo them, and don’t use ones everybody uses). Research a specific and unique area of law that interests you, this shows that you have gone above and beyond and are now looking deeper than just tort and crime, for me CSE law is what gets me.

Try to join law societies, most require you to be an undergrad, but some will make exceptions! You don’t get if you don’t ask, look up CILEx, and search your city name followed by ‘law society’, see what comes up 😊

Hope this helps 😊'
    Omg thanks so much for this! It’s very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Thanks for the repost 😊
    No Problem

ReputationRep:
    Omg thanks so much for this! It’s very helpful!
    Wish you the best in your academic career!

ReputationRep:
    A mock law trial will look good! (I did one and it was really fun!)
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hi Tan_00!

Congrats on all of your extracurriculars so far - you've clearly got a lot already! We have many free guides that can help you with the application process for a law degree at university that may help you stand out from the crowd. Here are some of the ones that might be useful:

What Makes a Good Lawyer - with a list of things you can look into for work experience/CV boosting!
    Law Personal Statement - for advice on writing this for uni
    Personal Statement for Law - Writing Guide
    Law Personal Statement Tips: Do's and Don'ts
    Law Work Experience - including ideas for gaining some work experience

You could also come to one of our (free!) events across the entire country - these are called TLP Aspire and talk you through all the different routes into law (including added information about what looks good on your personal statement!) These are being held next year in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Bristol. You can book a free ticket here.

Also, if you sign-up and enter your stage and aspirations, we can send you more free information every once and a while - to help you with your university applications! Just visit here.

I hope some of these help - and please let me know if I can help you with anything else or any questions you might have.

Good luck!

The Lawyer Portal - the ultimate, free resource for aspiring lawyers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.