Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazoorie)
    I get that having an oxbridge degree opens up almost any door to any career you want. But how do you think a history lecturer at cambridge would feel if he knew that a fair chunk of his students are gonna be interns at canary wharf (or alternative) as soon as they get their degree?
    In the end, what students do after they have got their degree is entirely up to them - it's their life after all, not ours. I always hope that a number of them will want to continue onto further study, and a fair chunk (around 25-30%) do go on to do at least a Master's degree. What matters for us, is what you're doing and going to do during your time at University that matters to us and we want students who are going to enjoy and flourish on our History course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Oh, that's very interesting.

I thought there might be a shift from this sort of practice. I've been working in the Talent Assessment industry for 6 years and I thought there might be a move away from this sort of thing, particularly as the likes of EY decided to get rid of the UCAS points requirement.

In their research, EY found that high UCAS points weren't adding any significant benefits, and in fact by having this UCAS points requirement, they were restricting the range in their graduate pool.
    I haven’t heard very much of UCAS points requirements for graduate recruitment but I certainly know of some institutions that uses ‘a first’ as the first filter. And it’s just not financial institutes.
    I suppose algorithm they use are being improved all the time and getting more complicated and sophisticated, but considering how many applications they receive and and quickly they have to process them, I can’t see how they can manage without getting help from their little computers at early stage of selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Oxbridge degree doesn’t open ‘almost any door’ in recruit market.

There’s a big difference between being able to open a door and actually getting a place, either as an intern or as a permanent employee.
    And getting an internship place in financial sector is almost as difficult as getting an actual job there. Often even more difficult if you don’t have a right connection or are not from a certain social background.

A fair chunk of history students do not become an intern in financial sector (or other alternative).

If your primary reason for studying at Cambridge is because of your presumption for job prospect rather than genuine passion for the subject, you’ll probably won’t enjoy (or may no even survive) the very demanding and intensive academic environment at Cambridge. And it’s possible admission tutor/interviewers detect it and you won’t get an offer.

As for how a history lecturer might think of a student like that, you can ask the real Cambridge history lecturer and our resident admission tutor, Murray Edwards Admissions.
    Imo take this user's posts on this thread with a pinch of salt.

1) Oxbridge opens doors. It propels you through CV reviews because it shows you can work under huge amounts of pressure to a high standard (and good employers who have a human assess their applicants know this). All Oxbridge degrees give you soft skills which employers want; there's a tendency to think about a degree in the very narrow sense of 'well I'm good at history now', but that's not what a history degree gives you. It gives you research skills, critical thinking skills, communication skills, and creativity. No, Oxbridge will not get you a job by itself, especially not in any competitive sector (eg finance, consultancy, advertising etc). But having an Oxbridge degree on your CV is hardly an anchor for your career prospects.

2) Obviously a fair chunk of history students don't go into banking, in the same way that a fair chunk of all students nationally don't go into banking. But a degree from this place gives you an excellent foundation to make a highly competitive application to prestigious companies, and it'll help you stand out.

3) I have little passion for English (my subject). I don't dislike it, and I don't not enjoy it. It's just fine. My aim has always been to use Cambridge as a stepping stone to go into an excellent, competitive job, and I think the idea that most students don't have employability as a factor for choosing their university is simply untrue. Pick a subject you'll enjoy, yes. Pick a degree and/or university which will facilitate employment, also yes. And out of interest, I've done well here (as do many [or even most] students who are actively striving to enter a competitive sector like banking/consultancy - because they know that to an extent they are competing against each other, and so they have to 'play the game' at Cambridge to get a high grade and give themselves the best chance of being hired). It is perfectly possible to thrive in your subject despite having no long-term academic interest in it.

Source: my tired body and mind, several months into the grad scheme meat-grinder

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.