The Student Room Group

Has anyone got any tips on how to get straight A’s in GCSE???

Hey so I’m currently doing my GCSEs this year and I want to get straight A’s. I’m not the brightest person ever but I am somewhat confident I can do it
Atm I am working at a grade 5/6 in my subjects!! Can someone please help
The only person who can help you achieve those grades are you
Reply 2
Your mindset is the only thing that can get you there. And it sounds like you’re very motivated to get there! I did my GCSE’s near enough two years ago now and I’m not naturally smart; I never thought I’d even get an A, let alone A*s too! I revised way before everyone else even thought to, revise little but often, you’re more likely to remember the revision if you spread it out over time, I did an hour or so of revision a night then would have a break and go back to it and do another hour max, make sure to have breaks in between otherwise your concentration span goes but little and often got me there! Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 3
Got 4A*, 5A and a Distinction* at GCSE; the main way I did it was by building a rapport with my teachers. Always doing past papers and asking them for help early in the morning, staying late after school, etc. I started off the year getting Cs and Ds in additional Chemistry (easily my most hated subject, and I was missing the lessons thanks to my Latin classes) - over time, I started going to my teacher in the mornings with my questions and turned it into an A* at the end, with 96 UMS.
Reply 4
Ok thank you! I guess I’ll syart asking my teachers and attempt the last papers!!
Reply 5
Original post by keeley00
Your mindset is the only thing that can get you there. And it sounds like you’re very motivated to get there! I did my GCSE’s near enough two years ago now and I’m not naturally smart; I never thought I’d even get an A, let alone A*s too! I revised way before everyone else even thought to, revise little but often, you’re more likely to remember the revision if you spread it out over time, I did an hour or so of revision a night then would have a break and go back to it and do another hour max, make sure to have breaks in between otherwise your concentration span goes but little and often got me there! Hope this helped :smile:

Yes thank you’ve definitely helped!! Thank you so much
Reply 6
Original post by AyoNW
Got 4A*, 5A and a Distinction* at GCSE; the main way I did it was by building a rapport with my teachers. Always doing past papers and asking them for help early in the morning, staying late after school, etc. I started off the year getting Cs and Ds in additional Chemistry (easily my most hated subject, and I was missing the lessons thanks to my Latin classes) - over time, I started going to my teacher in the mornings with my questions and turned it into an A* at the end, with 96 UMS.

THANk you
Got two 9s, one 8, six A*s, one A, and one B last year.
The only thing that I can say got me those grades was past papers. Constantly. In fact, the B was in art, which was the only subject I couldn't really do past papers on.
Do them, mark them, then do another. If you find you are losing marks on something over and over again, its time to use the traditional revision techniques e.g flashcards to get it into your head.
Good Luck
Revision revision revision revision... and motivation for more revision...

I used flash cards in conjunction with textbooks, online notes and past papers, which got me 6A*s and 4As. Make sure you use the specifications when revising because they can only ask you what's on the spec!!

Good luck!
I would just advise you to think positively and try as hard as you can in all of your exams. I always think that if I go into the exam knowing I have done everything I could manage to prepare, then there is nothing more I can do! Ask your teachers for advice because they will definitely be a lot of help and also ask any parents, friends, siblings or on the student room ect. it's always nice to have somebody to talk to! Once you have finished your exam don't worry about it and spend ages thinking about what you could have or should have done because the fact is... you can't change it now! Whats done is done! Not trying to sound harsh here but that's just my advise for not worrying because I know it can be hard. Anyway, good luck and just remember that there are lots of people in exactly the same position as you are in now! x
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest