Vegetarian/vegan Christmas Dinner watch

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    How are you guys doing it this year? I really wanted a nut roast but there isn't one to be found for miles, so it looks like I'll be making something myself this year :afraid:

What will you be having?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    My family are all meat eaters so we do a standard xmas dinner with some quorn added for me (which people normally forget to cook in all the fuss ).
    My plate is usually mash, yorkshires, stuffing, peas, quorn and cranberry sauce. :xmasgrin:

ReputationRep:
    I think I had nut cutlets/burgers last year. Could try making a nut roast this year I suppose :beard:

Bread sauce though. I will be having bread sauce and nothing else on the plate will compare :moon:

ReputationRep:
    My family like a Grilled Portobello Burger!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what my family will be having for christmas (I'm the only vegan, they're all veggie) but my girlfriend's family (she's in the same boat) are doing her a Portobello mushroom wellington as made by Bosh! on Facebook.

I'll probably insist on cooking our vegan option anyway, and I already have a good idea, which I trialled to great success a couple of days ago.

It's a vegan lattice roast with stuffing, 'pork', spiced red cabbage, spinach, caramelised mustard onions and redcurrant jelly.
    I made the stuffing with about half a box of Cremini field mushrooms, 4 cloves of garlic, a green apple, and 3 small/medium onions all simmered in a pan with Thyme, Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Smoked Paprika, Parsley, a bit of soy sauce, maple syrup, and mushroom ketchup (it's like a vinegar with mushroom powder).
    Once this was done, I tore 7 slices of thick white bread into the pan, added two cups of veggie stock and a cup and a half of soy milk, and stirred on heat until it all seemed to absorb. I placed this into a pan and baked in a fan at 220C for 35 minutes. All measurements were approximate and not to recipe.

Once this is done, I'm going to spoon onto a little bit of redcurrant jelly, spread atop a roll of puff pastry (sliced ready for a lattice shape), and add my spiced and pickled red cabbage, before adding 2 defrosted Linda McCartney 1/4lb burgers, cut into suitable strips the width of the main filling. I'll then add some wilted spinach and some onions which will have been fried in a pan with soy sauce, a tiny bit of english mustard, a larger bit of sweet mustard, some mustard seeds, and salt. Then the lattice will be done up, and vegan butter will be spread on top before being sprinkled with parsley and baked until golden brown and puffy.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by FreshAvocado)
    I'm not sure what my family will be having for christmas (I'm the only vegan, they're all veggie) but my girlfriend's family (she's in the same boat) are doing her a Portobello mushroom wellington as made by Bosh! on Facebook.

I'll probably insist on cooking our vegan option anyway, and I already have a good idea, which I trialled to great success a couple of days ago.

It's a vegan lattice roast with stuffing, 'pork', spiced red cabbage, spinach, caramelised mustard onions and redcurrant jelly.
    I made the stuffing with about half a box of Cremini field mushrooms, 4 cloves of garlic, a green apple, and 3 small/medium onions all simmered in a pan with Thyme, Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Smoked Paprika, Parsley, a bit of soy sauce, maple syrup, and mushroom ketchup (it's like a vinegar with mushroom powder).
    Once this was done, I tore 7 slices of thick white bread into the pan, added two cups of veggie stock and a cup and a half of soy milk, and stirred on heat until it all seemed to absorb. I placed this into a pan and baked in a fan at 220C for 35 minutes. All measurements were approximate and not to recipe.

Once this is done, I'm going to spoon onto a little bit of redcurrant jelly, spread atop a roll of puff pastry (sliced ready for a lattice shape), and add my spiced and pickled red cabbage, before adding 2 defrosted Linda McCartney 1/4lb burgers, cut into suitable strips the width of the main filling. I'll then add some wilted spinach and some onions which will have been fried in a pan with soy sauce, a tiny bit of english mustard, a larger bit of sweet mustard, some mustard seeds, and salt. Then the lattice will be done up, and vegan butter will be spread on top before being sprinkled with parsley and baked until golden brown and puffy.
    That lattice sounds AMAZING. I've been trying to buy something to stick in the freezer, but I think this sounds way better and may have a go!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.