Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick A LEVEL Options Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and need to choose my A-Levels.I want to study Economics at a top Uni, as stated in the title, and I want to see your opinions on them. Some of them are A levels, and 2 of them are Pre U (Cambridge) qualifications, and also one AS level which I will take for one year only. Also, I have a slight concern with Pre U Further Maths. I'm very good at maths (IGCSE year early and got 95% and most probably will get A for FSMQ Add Maths).
    Am I good enough?

Pre U Maths -- Pre U Further maths -- A2 Economics -- A2 Spanish -- AS Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    What does Pre U Maths mean? Does it account as an A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sturdy swifter)
    What does Pre U Maths mean? Does it account as an A Level.
    Yeah it's basically an A-level. The grade system is different but it's regarded as the same qualification level.

ReputationRep:
    So you are taking 5? Wow, good luck...

ReputationRep:
    At my school, we have to choose 3 A2/Pre U and 1 AS level. Maths and FM are one Pre U option, but give you two qualifications at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    The best combination to cover all top economics courses is probably: Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics

If you couldn't take the above 4, A2 Combinations would be:
    Most mathematical courses = Cambridge and LSE: Maths, FM and Econ
    Slightly less mathematical = UCL and Warwick: Maths, FM and Econ probably best but FM/Econ could be replaced with History or physics
    Oxford is much less mathematical and most take: Maths, Economics, History

Your options look fine tho

ReputationRep:
    Probably drop chemistry or Spanish and focus on the extra curricular things that will help you get into LSE like a lot of further reading on economics.

Having lots of A*s at A level is great but LSE will definitely be looking for future economic geniuses when making selections and for that you need to read around your subject so you can sound intelligent in an interview.

I've applied to Warwick this year to study PPE as my first choice.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FJ1209)
    I'm in year 11 and need to choose my A-Levels.I want to study Economics at a top Uni, as stated in the title, and I want to see your opinions on them. Some of them are A levels, and 2 of them are Pre U (Cambridge) qualifications, and also one AS level which I will take for one year only. Also, I have a slight concern with Pre U Further Maths. I'm very good at maths (IGCSE year early and got 95% and most probably will get A for FSMQ Add Maths).
    Am I good enough?

Pre U Maths -- Pre U Further maths -- A2 Economics -- A2 Spanish -- AS Chemistry
    That's fine and dandy. LSE will only count FM as a 4th A-level, which is ok for you.

What about considering Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    The best combination to cover all top economics courses is probably: Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics

If you couldn't take the above 4, A2 Combinations would be:
    Most mathematical courses = Cambridge and LSE: Maths, FM and Econ
    Slightly less mathematical = UCL and Warwick: Maths, FM and Econ probably best but FM/Econ could be replaced with History or physics
    Oxford is much less mathematical and most take: Maths, Economics, History

Your options look fine tho
    Thanks for the advice. Would LSE or UCL accept AAAA in Maths, FM, Econ and Spanish with an A for AS Chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That's fine and dandy. LSE will only count FM as a 4th A-level, which is ok for you.

What about considering Cambridge?
    Idk about Oxbridge. Too risky maybe, because it takes up a Uni choice, which I could instead use for say a Durham or Bristol.
    Plus would I have the time to do all the further reading they want, and also a STEP exam too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoldThisL)
    Probably drop chemistry or Spanish and focus on the extra curricular things that will help you get into LSE like a lot of further reading on economics.

Having lots of A*s at A level is great but LSE will definitely be looking for future economic geniuses when making selections and for that you need to read around your subject so you can sound intelligent in an interview.

I've applied to Warwick this year to study PPE as my first choice.
    I wish I could do that, but the only option I can drop is FM and I kinda need it to get into LSE and UCL I think. Plus, I enjoy Spanish, and Chemistry is only a one year course which I think I can get an A in.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could do that, but the only option I can drop is FM and I kinda need it to get into LSE and UCL I think. Plus, I enjoy Spanish, and Chemistry is only a one year course which I think I can get an A in.
    That is fair enough.

I recently discovered the difficulty of taking an extra AS alongside my three A levels and decided to drop the AS so I figured it might be worth sharing that.

ReputationRep:
    At A level do

Economics, Maths and Further Maths

Economics is a very mathy degree, even more so at LSE and Warwick. Lot's and lot's of calculus, derivatives, matrix algebra, solving equations, Logs etc. Not to mention game theory which has its own maths, and also Statistics which is different but fun, this will include econometrics i presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoldThisL)
    That is fair enough.

I recently discovered the difficulty of taking an extra AS alongside my three A levels and decided to drop the AS so I figured it might be worth sharing that.
    Yeah I bet it will be a pain. Thanks tho bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Genius)
    At A level do

Economics, Maths and Further Maths

Economics is a very mathy degree, even more so at LSE and Warwick. Lot's and lot's of calculus, derivatives, matrix algebra, solving equations, Logs etc. Not to mention game theory which has its own maths, and also Statistics which is different but fun, this will include econometrics i presume.
    The annoying thing is, I have to take Further Maths as a fourth A level, so I need to take Chem or Spanish or soemthing else.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, I have to take Further Maths as a fourth A level, so I need to take Chem or Spanish or soemthing else.
    Take some banter subject which you know you have a good chance of scoring a high mark on. Business or accountancy or something, maybe even Physics if you like a challenge.

But lol at people saying take history, that's one subject that you literally don't need for a economics bsc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Genius)
    Take some banter subject which you know you have a good chance of scoring a high mark on. Business or accountancy or something, maybe even Physics if you like a challenge.

But lol at people saying take history, that's one subject that you literally don't need for a economics bsc.
    I don't even do history GCSE so yeah, no lol. School doesn't do Business or Accountancy so probs Spanish
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Idk about Oxbridge. Too risky maybe, because it takes up a Uni choice, which I could instead use for say a Durham or Bristol.
    Plus would I have the time to do all the further reading they want, and also a STEP exam too?
    You don't do STEP for Economics.

It's just one choice of your five, and if you include, say Cambridge and LSE in your 5 you will almost certainly have 3 offers, worst case scenario.

Most people get 4 offers...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Would LSE or UCL accept AAAA in Maths, FM, Econ and Spanish with an A for AS Chem?
    At full A-level? No. They both ask for A*AA and are unlikely to accept a missing grade.

ReputationRep:
    If u do further maths at A2( second year) it needs to be a fourth a level for LSE or else they’ll reject u straight away regardless of what u grades u get. I know this because of an LSE summer school where I spoke to the undergrad application officer who said if u do maths, further maths and another subject, it’s not broad enough, so u need 4 a levels

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.