Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you consider the ethics of the clothing you buy? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I, for example, don't wear animal products like leather or fur, but more recently have been thinking more about who is making my clothes as well and whether they are treated/paid fairly. It's more hidden and difficult to know about than what materials your clothes are made of, so it takes some research. It's not like it's explained on the label.

Do you think about this when shopping for clothes, or does it not concern you so much? Or perhaps it's never crossed your mind, or you just weren't aware?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I, for example, don't wear animal products like leather or fur, but more recently have been thinking more about who is making my clothes as well and whether they are treated/paid fairly. It's more hidden and difficult to know about than what materials your clothes are made of, so it takes some research. It's not like it's explained on the label.

Do you think about this when shopping for clothes, or does it not concern you so much? Or perhaps it's never crossed your mind, or you just weren't aware?
    I wouldnt buy fur but I do tend to buy the cheapest clothes I can so cost is the main concern for me because i can't afford to be spending too much on them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I lack morals when it comes to buying clothes tbh.Though I do feel a tinge of guilt when I look at the label and it says "Made in Sri Lanka" (I'm ethnically Sinhalese) :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing with my style, and I'm quite money conscious so I've been shopping in charity shops more and more, which is friendlier on my wallet but also raised awareness of the ethical issues of fast fashion chains. I haven't cut them out completely, but one day it might be possible. I'm mostly motivated by my budget and desire to get creative though.

ReputationRep:
    i don’t buy fur but i never make myself aware of the country an item is made in. When i stop and think about it i obviously care about the workers situations etc. but i never think before buying clothes about that type of thing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.