Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to keep this question relatively small. I believe to be a high achieving student, currently in year 11 and predicted grades are 7s (Due to change as mocks are approaching.) I am currently studying
    •Chem
    •Bio
    •Physics
    •English Lit
    •English Lang
    •Maths
    •Spanish
    •Computer Science
    •History
    •Religious Education
    And may take a home language GCSE

I am applying to grammar schools and so far the alevels I wish to take are:
    •Politics
    •Economics
    •Law
    •Maybe English Lit or Maths

I do not have no clear plan, but I do wish to pursue a career in jobs that need analytical focus. Such as politics or economics or maybe even law..

Is there a lot of maths required at economics alevel? Although a math alevel is substantial for a degree.
    Would I be able to apply for oxbridge near the time or are the subjects to general?
    Can your alevel choices be changed after gcse results?
    When do u decide which AS to drop?

Sorry, I have made this relatively long however I'm sure this thread will benefit others.

Many Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There isnt a lot of maths in economics a level just a lot of graphs
    Also a lot of sixth forms let you change subjects after GCSE results if there is space in class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasham123)
    There isnt a lot of maths in economics a level just a lot of graphs
    Hey Hasham.
    Are you currently taking an economics alevel/AS, do you also do a maths alevel.
    What kind of maths, just graph reading and drawing? No equations or formulaes

ReputationRep:
    I do economics ,Physics and maths a levels and economics is mostly just graph reading with a few formulas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasham123)
    I do economics ,Physics and maths a levels and economics is mostly just graph reading with a few formulas
    That's a real nice combination.
    Maths alevel- is it more general like gcse or is it a specific focus on a topic.
    I am in set 1 and do get good enough grades yet I am weak in maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidenAdam-11)
    I would like to keep this question relatively small. I believe to be a high achieving student, currently in year 11 and predicted grades are 7s (Due to change as mocks are approaching.) I am currently studying
    •Chem
    •Bio
    •Physics
    •English Lit
    •English Lang
    •Maths
    •Spanish
    •Computer Science
    •History
    •Religious Education

•Politics
    •Economics
    •Law

I do not have no clear plan, but I do wish to pursue a career in jobs that need analytical focus. Such as politics or economics or maybe even law..

Is there a lot of maths required at economics alevel? Although a math alevel is substantial for a degree.
    Would I be able to apply for oxbridge near the time or are the subjects to general?

Sorry, I have made this relatively long however I'm sure this thread will benefit others.

Many Thanks
    I can’t help regarding the economics stuff but, yes you can change your choices after results day. It varies from sixth form to sixth form but for me I changed on enrolment and had the first 3 weeks of sixth form to change.

If your sixth form allows you to drop one subject, it will be on/just after results day of the first year

Personally I do Law, politics, history and literature. I love politics, absolutely love history, literature is not too difficult depending on your grade at gcse, and so far law is harder than I expected, but I’ll have to wait and see if this changes.

ReputationRep:
    So far in maths we've just built up on GCSE topics and done them to a higher level like completing the square , proofs and now we are moving on to harder stuff that sort of builds on GCSE knowledge like algebraic division so in conclusion it's quite general and if you work hard and follow the textbook it's quite easy to get good grades

ReputationRep:
    Is there a lot of maths required at economics alevel? No it's predominantly essays.

Would I be able to apply for oxbridge near the time or are the subjects to general? Yes but most Oxford offer holders have 7+ A*s at GCSE and most Cambridge offer holders have 5+.

Can your alevel choices be changed after gcse results? Yes, subject to availability at your sixth form.

When do u decide which AS to drop? Any time from starting sixth form to getting your AS results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidenAdam-11)
    •Chem
    •Bio
    •Physics
    •English Lit
    •English Lang
    •Maths
    •Spanish
    •Computer Science
    •History
    •Religious Education

•Politics
    •Economics
    •Law

Many Thanks
    I wouldn’t advise taking Politics and Law together. I dropped Law within the first week and changed it to Politics. Maths would be a solid choice as it’s highly respected and opens so many doors, I wish I was confident enough to take it. And since Law doesn’t have any required subjects you could take whatever you want, I’d suggest Politics, Economics, Maths & English Lit, a solid combo imo.

ReputationRep:
    In A Level Maths there's A LOT of trigonometry (sin, cos, tan, especially in second year). A lot of the first year maths is basically GCSE further maths and the transition isn't that bad. The jump from first year to second year was a lot bigger.

If you're thinking about doing law at uni then don't do law A level because some unis don't really like that. They'd prefer more conventional subject like English or history.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me here: If you want to get into Oxbridge for Politics, Law or Economics the best combination is easily:
    Maths, History, English Lit with either Economics or Politics as a 4th.

The subjects you currently want to do has 1 facilitating subject, this combination has 3. Top uni's generally only like students to have 1 non-facilitating subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Trust me here: If you want to get into Oxbridge for Politics, Law or Economics the best combination is easily:
    Maths, History, English Lit with either Economics or Politics as a 4th.

The subjects you currently want to do has 1 facilitating subject, this combination has 3. Top uni's generally only like students to have 1 non-facilitating subject.
    Indeed but my interest in history is lacking as I do not enjoy the topic we are currently doing
    How many topics do we do at alevel history

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.