Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I overcome loneliness at University Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Today just seems one of those days where my motivation has dropped so much. I have a 2,000 essay due in on Friday which I am so worried about. I understand the topic but am so behind on the reading...

I was recently rejected for an internship that I had my heart on that made things a bit worse. I start to think 'What now?'

How can I overcome these days like this? Just feelings of loneliness at Uni and a loss of motivation.

Sundays are always the worse. No lectures or seminars to go to. Just nothing.

I have Asperger's, so despite my efforts, find the social scene too intimidating. I have suffered manipulation before when I have tried.

How can I make some friends here, or, failing that, just pick myself up so that I want to have ambition about me again with my work.

I find the whole living at Uni and away from home so tough and really worry that I will struggle in the 'real-world'.

Mods, if possible, please keep this in Chat so that I can get more responses.

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    Hi everyone,

Today just seems one of those days where my motivation has dropped so much. I have a 2,000 essay due in on Friday which I am so worried about. I understand the topic but am so behind on the reading...

I was recently rejected for an internship that I had my heart on that made things a bit worse. I start to think 'What now?'

How can I overcome these days like this? Just feelings of loneliness at Uni and a loss of motivation.

I have Asperger's, so despite my efforts, find the social scene too intimidating. I have suffered manipulation before when I have tried.

How can I make some friends here, or, failing that, just pick myself up so that I want to have ambition about me again with my work.

I find the whole living at Uni and away from home so tough and really worry that I will struggle in the 'real-world'.

I’m sorry you feel that way! Remember that so many people also find university challenging even if they don’t show it. Your Students Union is there to support you through your studies. Perhaps popping in to see if they have any support suggestions might help you out, or even sending a quick email.

They might have gatherings for people who feel lonely to spend time together. My university had a buddy system where you can apply to be tutored by another student who can help you out and support you over your time there.

Also go and chat to your personal tutor; they are assigned to you for help with ANY university concerns you have, no matter how silly they seem to you. I have a friend with Aspergers and she gets on so well with her tutor that they’re on first name terms and go for coffee and donuts on a weekly basis!

The help is there, you’ve just got to reach out. I hope that helps a little
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I would really echo what @carrotstar said; University support systems are there to be used and I think it's well worth giving those connections a shout!

What specifically have you found intimidating on the social scene? May I ask whether you are in halls or a houseshare? I might be able to provide some advice on getting yourself a bit more out there and maybe having a second go at it.

For an immediate short-term solution, try hanging out Sundays at the library if you're doing coursework. At least at my Uni there's a good general hum of voices in the air there, and maybe you can strike up a conversation with someone there or work in a group with your coursemates?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Hey,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit down. As the above posters have mentioned, you should really reach out to your students support team. No matter how big or how small the problem is, Universities always have people in place to help. Also, If you're struggling with the workload or a particular assignment, try emailing or arranging meetings with your tutors - this is what they are there for, make use of them!! When I'm feeling a bit unmotivated at Uni, I try to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine - it realty assists with my energy levels and focus - give it a try. Finally, in terms of making friends, have you tried joining any societies? These are a great way to meet new people that you will have a lot in common with!

Hope this helps and hope you are ok

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.