Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
    Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
    Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
    Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March. Just a hint though, don't try learning all of A-level biology, physics and chemistry because I'm pretty sure you need to know biology and chemistry up to first year undergraduate level anyway. I've been given the recommendation of looking at the practice questions and papers and learning from there. Also, I believe there's a specification of what you need to know floating around somewhere. If I'm correct, the GAMSAT isn't like a typical exam. It isn't about just answering the questions like in a typical exam, but being able to understand them and apply what you know to answer them.

I'm a Londoner too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March. Just a hint though, don't try learning all of A-level biology, physics and chemistry because I'm pretty sure you need to know biology and chemistry up to first year undergraduate level anyway. I've been given the recommendation of looking at the practice questions and papers and learning from there. Also, I believe there's a specification of what you need to know floating around somewhere. If I'm correct, the GAMSAT isn't like a typical exam. It isn't about just answering the questions like in a typical exam, but being able to understand them and apply what you know to answer them.

I'm a Londoner too.
    Hi Volibear,

Is there a specification? The GAMSAT website doesn't say much other than knowledge of undergrad level of chem /biology is required. I read another post by someone saying they've used GRADMED's syllabus as a guide to what they should cover . I was trying to find a Desoneill PDF on question papers, since I agree(from what i've read) that trying to cover everything is not going to help .
    Which practice questions have you come across , any suggestions?.

Also, do you have a group you revise with or is it a solo effort?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arindamdgp)
    Hi Volibear,

Is there a specification? The GAMSAT website doesn't say much other than knowledge of undergrad level of chem /biology is required. I read another post by someone saying they've used GRADMED's syllabus as a guide to what they should cover . I was trying to find a Desoneill PDF on question papers, since I agree(from what i've read) that trying to cover everything is not going to help .
    Which practice questions have you come across , any suggestions?.

Also, do you have a group you revise with or is it a solo effort?.
    This website seems to have one: http://www.gamsat.ie/
    That Gold Standard book thing also seems to have one and I found the PDF for that somewhere. The Des'O Neill stuff you can find on Ebay and the practice questions are in the ACER resources from the GAMSAT website which you can also find on Ebay.

I'm the only person I know applying to GEM so I'm mostly revising alone.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhchambe)
    Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well

Hey ,

Congratulations, its by no means a bad score , if you can afford to re-sit , might as well.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i'm selling my gamsat stash of revision material - it includes des o'neil's, gradmed, i'll throw in my essays and all the exam practice questions i did.
    i took gamsat back in 2014 so it's been a few years and managed to get a couple uni offers. hoping this material would go to someone really serious about getting into medicine - send me a message if anyone wants my revision materials.
    good luck to all revising for gamsat

ReputationRep:
    has anyone tried the ace gamsat material?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rmatsm)
    has anyone tried the ace gamsat material?
    Yeah, it's really good. Tells you a lot about how the questions are asked in the exam, especially in section 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daiigou)
    Yeah, it's really good. Tells you a lot about how the questions are asked in the exam, especially in section 3.
    Thanks... did you buy the whole package??

ReputationRep:
    I did yeah and it's definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rmatsm)
    Thanks... did you buy the whole package??
    Buy it off eBay

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arindamdgp)
    Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
    Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
    Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
    Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .

I’m pretty much in the exact same boat as you. I’ve got a place to do an MSc starting sept 2018.

I did quit my job though in hopes of getting something more clinical (I worked in a microbiology lab) as I called around and it wasn’t considered adequate work experience.

I did do the gamsat this March, and I did better in section 1 & 2, which is odd as I’m a science graduate, but I guess I focused more on the humanities and writing side of things. But I did find section 3 quite difficult. But the practice papers that you can buy from acer helped me a ton!

I’m going to sit the gamsat again (March maybe?) for a higher mark. The higher the better right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oluwalucy)
    I’m going to sit the gamsat again (March maybe?) for a higher mark. The higher the better right?
    Some places like SGUL and Nottingham rank your application based of your GAMSAT score (if you meet the basic entry requirements). Get yourself in the top marks range and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can almost guarantee yourself an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Some places like SGUL and Nottingham rank your application based of your GAMSAT score (if you meet the basic entry requirements). Get yourself in the top marks range and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can almost guarantee yourself an interview.
    That’s the plan 😉
    And you’re right! I read that too

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise on my situation.

I am considering taking the GAMSAT next year for St George's. However I am not sure if my knowledge is too far off from being able to do well in it.

I completed my biomedical sciences undergraduate degree with a 2:1, 3 years ago. I last did Chemistry at A Level in 2010 and Physics at GCSE in 2008 (both A*s)

Is it true the level of knowledge they expect is undergrad 1st year Bio and Chem, and Physics A Level? And since my knowledge will be so rusty now, would it be pretty much pointless to sit that GAMSAT next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmc2017)
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise on my situation.

I am considering taking the GAMSAT next year for St George's. However I am not sure if my knowledge is too far off from being able to do well in it.

I completed my biomedical sciences undergraduate degree with a 2:1, 3 years ago. I last did Chemistry at A Level in 2010 and Physics at GCSE in 2008 (both A*s)

Is it true the level of knowledge they expect is undergrad 1st year Bio and Chem, and Physics A Level? And since my knowledge will be so rusty now, would it be pretty much pointless to sit that GAMSAT next year?
    I'm doing it for SGUL too haha!

Apparently the first year undergrad for bio and chem is a bit wishy washy. Look at the past papers. I haven't gone through them all but the biology doesn't seem to be undergrad level and even if it is, it's pretty restricted in what it covers. Some chemistry stuff on there is stuff I've encountered in first year undergraduate chemistry (I'm on a biology degree), but it's not that bad especially because you have done chemistry in the past. I haven't studied pure physics since GCSE but have covered some of the stuff in chemistry first and second year. But even if I hadn't, YouTube and A-level physics books would help.

It's not pointless because you still have over three months left to revise for it. Structure your learning and you could do well in it (people have before with less time spent revising for it). And even if it doesn't go well, you could sit it as a test-run so then at least if you choose to resit in September, you know what you're in for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it for SGUL too haha!

Apparently the first year undergrad for bio and chem is a bit wishy washy. Look at the past papers. I haven't gone through them all but the biology doesn't seem to be undergrad level and even if it is, it's pretty restricted in what it covers. Some chemistry stuff on there is stuff I've encountered in first year undergraduate chemistry (I'm on a biology degree), but it's not that bad especially because you have done chemistry in the past. I haven't studied pure physics since GCSE but have covered some of the stuff in chemistry first and second year. But even if I hadn't, YouTube and A-level physics books would help.

It's not pointless because you still have over three months left to revise for it. Structure your learning and you could do well in it (people have before with less time spent revising for it). And even if it doesn't go well, you could sit it as a test-run so then at least if you choose to resit in September, you know what you're in for.
    Thanks! This is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Will places for the March 2018 GAMSAT run out? How long can I realistically wait to book a spot?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've just registered for the march exam! Does anyone know where the Liverpool test centre is?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.