The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2018 / 2019 for 2019 / 2020 entry

Helloooo,

I'm currently a 2nd year Nursing student but I am planning on taking the GAMSAT next September as I would love to study GEM.

I don't have a science background at all other than this course (no science A-Levels) so I'm really starting from the bottom. My question is, do any of you know what preparation materials I should be using and what specific topics I need to cover? I have been going through my Nursing Anatomy and Physiology book and working my way through some classic literature but I don't really know where to go from here. Sadly I can't afford any GAMSAT prep courses so it'll have to be home based learning.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when registration opens for gamsat march 2018 ? Thanks x
Original post by Lilly-Tiana
Does anyone know when registration opens for gamsat march 2018 ? Thanks x

Registration opens in November for the March exam. I believe it opens in May for the September exam. I think I'll end up doing both :frown:
Original post by mursalxxo
Registration opens in November for the March exam. I believe it opens in May for the September exam. I think I'll end up doing both :frown:

Thanks ! Yass, that's my plan too! 🤞🏼
Reply 4
Subscribing~
Reply 5
Hi,

If I sit the GAMSAT in March 2018, is it possible to apply for the 2018 entry?
Original post by SBegum12
Hi,

If I sit the GAMSAT in March 2018, is it possible to apply for the 2018 entry?

No, applications for 2018 closed in october.. you can apply for 2019
Reply 7
Original post by arigziegler
No, applications for 2018 closed in october.. you can apply for 2019

Thank you. I realised where I went wrong LOL :'(
Original post by SBegum12
Thank you. I realised where I went wrong LOL :'(

It's ok, you can spend the year making sure you have a killer application for next year!
Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .
Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well
Original post by eilidhchambe
Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well

Hey ,

Congratulations, its by no means a bad score , if you can afford to re-sit , might as well.
Reply 12
has anyone tried the ace gamsat material?
Reply 13
Original post by Rmatsm
has anyone tried the ace gamsat material?

Yeah, it's really good. Tells you a lot about how the questions are asked in the exam, especially in section 3.
Reply 14
Original post by daiigou
Yeah, it's really good. Tells you a lot about how the questions are asked in the exam, especially in section 3.

Thanks... did you buy the whole package??
Reply 15
I did yeah and it's definitely worth it.
Original post by arindamdgp
Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .

I’m pretty much in the exact same boat as you. I’ve got a place to do an MSc starting sept 2018.

I did quit my job though in hopes of getting something more clinical (I worked in a microbiology lab) as I called around and it wasn’t considered adequate work experience.

I did do the gamsat this March, and I did better in section 1 & 2, which is odd as I’m a science graduate, but I guess I focused more on the humanities and writing side of things. But I did find section 3 quite difficult. But the practice papers that you can buy from acer helped me a ton!

I’m going to sit the gamsat again (March maybe?) for a higher mark. The higher the better right?
Original post by Volibear
Some places like SGUL and Nottingham rank your application based of your GAMSAT score (if you meet the basic entry requirements). Get yourself in the top marks range and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can almost guarantee yourself an interview.

That’s the plan 😉
And you’re right! I read that too
Reply 18
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise on my situation.

I am considering taking the GAMSAT next year for St George's. However I am not sure if my knowledge is too far off from being able to do well in it.

I completed my biomedical sciences undergraduate degree with a 2:1, 3 years ago. I last did Chemistry at A Level in 2010 and Physics at GCSE in 2008 (both A*s)

Is it true the level of knowledge they expect is undergrad 1st year Bio and Chem, and Physics A Level? And since my knowledge will be so rusty now, would it be pretty much pointless to sit that GAMSAT next year?
Reply 19
Original post by Volibear
I'm doing it for SGUL too haha!

Apparently the first year undergrad for bio and chem is a bit wishy washy. Look at the past papers. I haven't gone through them all but the biology doesn't seem to be undergrad level and even if it is, it's pretty restricted in what it covers. Some chemistry stuff on there is stuff I've encountered in first year undergraduate chemistry (I'm on a biology degree), but it's not that bad especially because you have done chemistry in the past. I haven't studied pure physics since GCSE but have covered some of the stuff in chemistry first and second year. But even if I hadn't, YouTube and A-level physics books would help.

It's not pointless because you still have over three months left to revise for it. Structure your learning and you could do well in it (people have before with less time spent revising for it). And even if it doesn't go well, you could sit it as a test-run so then at least if you choose to resit in September, you know what you're in for.

Thanks! This is really helpful!

Latest