Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
    Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
    Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
    Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March. Just a hint though, don't try learning all of A-level biology, physics and chemistry because I'm pretty sure you need to know biology and chemistry up to first year undergraduate level anyway. I've been given the recommendation of looking at the practice questions and papers and learning from there. Also, I believe there's a specification of what you need to know floating around somewhere. If I'm correct, the GAMSAT isn't like a typical exam. It isn't about just answering the questions like in a typical exam, but being able to understand them and apply what you know to answer them.

I'm a Londoner too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March. Just a hint though, don't try learning all of A-level biology, physics and chemistry because I'm pretty sure you need to know biology and chemistry up to first year undergraduate level anyway. I've been given the recommendation of looking at the practice questions and papers and learning from there. Also, I believe there's a specification of what you need to know floating around somewhere. If I'm correct, the GAMSAT isn't like a typical exam. It isn't about just answering the questions like in a typical exam, but being able to understand them and apply what you know to answer them.

I'm a Londoner too.
    Hi Volibear,

Is there a specification? The GAMSAT website doesn't say much other than knowledge of undergrad level of chem /biology is required. I read another post by someone saying they've used GRADMED's syllabus as a guide to what they should cover . I was trying to find a Desoneill PDF on question papers, since I agree(from what i've read) that trying to cover everything is not going to help .
    Which practice questions have you come across , any suggestions?.

Also, do you have a group you revise with or is it a solo effort?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arindamdgp)
    Hi Volibear,

Is there a specification? The GAMSAT website doesn't say much other than knowledge of undergrad level of chem /biology is required. I read another post by someone saying they've used GRADMED's syllabus as a guide to what they should cover . I was trying to find a Desoneill PDF on question papers, since I agree(from what i've read) that trying to cover everything is not going to help .
    Which practice questions have you come across , any suggestions?.

Also, do you have a group you revise with or is it a solo effort?.
    This website seems to have one: http://www.gamsat.ie/
    That Gold Standard book thing also seems to have one and I found the PDF for that somewhere. The Des'O Neill stuff you can find on Ebay and the practice questions are in the ACER resources from the GAMSAT website which you can also find on Ebay.

I'm the only person I know applying to GEM so I'm mostly revising alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arindamdgp)
    Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
    Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
    Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
    Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .

Hi

My advise to you or anyone thinking about starting to revise for GAMSAT is don't think you need to learn everything in terms of facts. What you need to do is try and understand concepts and familiarise yourself with as many as you can. It's a reasoning exam which means they will give you 95% of the information on the page and it's up to you to logically figure out what the right answer is. Get numerate very quickly. That's one of the most important things I did and I went from a section 3 score of 46 to 80 in a year. By numerate I mean learn how to manipulate equations, standard form and logs etc.

For section 1 & 2, ted talks and the ukcat question bank for verbal reasoning helped me a lot. Just remember not to restrict your responses in the essays to a set way because there's no set way.

Finally, and probably the most difficult, learn to enjoy the exam. Having sat it 3 times, I'm actually a little disappointed that I won't have to take it again. That sounds crazy but there's a reason the average people have to take it is 2.5 times.

I took the GradMed course which is honestly invaluable. So if you can afford it (and it's not cheap), I'd 100% advise you go on it. On the other hand, i've got all their study materials, about 25 papers which are honestly so similar to the real thing. Hit me up if you're interested.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhchambe)
    Hiya! Sat the gamsat last year and got (55, 69, 59) 60 but going to give it another stab. I should’ve got higher in section I really as I was doing much better but think I caved on the day. I’m going to work equally hard on all sections to really try and amp up my score. It’s 61 in terms of Nottingham but I think it can’t hurt to get a higher score and im already on a year off so might as well

Hey ,

Congratulations, its by no means a bad score , if you can afford to re-sit , might as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.