Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to do maths but I don't know whether to do an EPQ or not. I understand that its a formal way of showing further interest in your subject however can you not show that same interest by reading books and attending lectures etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambutan)
    I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to do maths but I don't know whether to do an EPQ or not. I understand that its a formal way of showing further interest in your subject however can you not show that same interest by reading books and attending lectures etc...
    I don’t think an EPQ is a requirement for any university course, but you’re right that it will give you a “boost” in your application. It is also written in a similar format to your dissertation or end year project will be, so it’s great practise to show that you have started to develop research and analysis skills.

I’d say go for it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you get an offer you'll need to do STEP. That will take a lot of prep. An EPQ might be too much extra and certainly less use than STEP.

ReputationRep:
    They will be looking for maths ability and a logical brain not how much you can write about maths. If you were doing an essay based degree I would say go for it but for Maths you should simply be focussing on getting the best grades in your A levels and STEP. If you want something extra on your PS then do the Maths Challenge.

ReputationRep:
    You don’t need an EPQ, no. Never has that EVER been a requirement for any course in the history of mankind. Ever. And nor will it ever be. What would even make you think an EPQ was a necessity? Golly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you first hand that Warwick care 0% about the EPQ for their Maths applications, my personal tutor heads up a lot of the admissions and EPQ (and Personal Statement) are on the very bottom of the list of priorities. The only thing they really care about is whether you can make the grades at A level and STEP (I guess now you can get in without STEP though :unimpressed:) and I cannot imagine the rest of COWI are too dissimilar in opinion.

I personally wouldn't take it purely for the sake of trying to 'boost' your application however if you're genuinely interested in the EPQ you should take it but just make sure it doesn't affect your Maths too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.