Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering withdrawing from mechanical engineering in 1st year, I am just not enjoying it, and finding myself very unhappy and depressed. I want to change courses to accounting for September.
    The problem I have is paying of 25% of the tuition fees, since I have left the decision late (its approaching mid-November)

I just cannot afford that, I was wondering if it can be covered with the maintenance loan I have remaining, in my bank account. Or if it can be reconsidered due to finincial status (we have low family income)

I have now also been considering sticking it out and changing course after the first year. There is a bonus year entitlement of maintenance loan if you change after a year, I am wondering if thats the same for the tuiton loan too?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jav747)
    I'm seriously considering withdrawing from mechanical engineering in 1st year, I am just not enjoying it, and finding myself very unhappy and depressed. I want to change courses to accounting for September.
    The problem I have is paying of 25% of the tuition fees, since I have left the decision late (its approaching mid-November)

I just cannot afford that, I was wondering if it can be covered with the maintenance loan I have remaining, in my bank account. Or if it can be reconsidered due to finincial status (we have low family income)

I have now also been considering sticking it out and finishing the first year, will that mean I wont have to pay any of the tuition loan back because I finished my first year?

Thanks
    they would have already had the payment from student finance for the 1st term so i think you wouldnt be liable for the rest but check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    they would have already had the payment from student finance for the 1st term so i think you wouldnt be liable for the rest but check.
    Yes, thats the problem, I need to pay back the first term tuition loan which student finance had payed to the university, which I cannot afford.

With maintenance loans it's fine because that will be repayed once I earn over a certain amount when working.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thats the problem, I need to pay back the first term tuition loan which student finance had payed to the university, which I cannot afford.

With maintenance loans it's fine because that will be repayed once I earn over a certain amount when working.
    Afraid that's not the case as they'll want part of the first terms payments back then the rest is once you're working.

ReputationRep:
    Afraid that's not the case as they'll want part of the first terms payments back then the rest is once you're working.
    So the first maintenance loan payment has to be payed back as well as tuition loan?
    What happens if I finish/fail my first year then transfer to a new course at the same university?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So the first maintenance loan payment has to be payed back as well as tuition loan?
    What happens if I finish/fail my first year then transfer to a new course at the same university?
    Not the entire payment but the amount for however many days between when you leave and the next payment. If you finish then you won't owe anything, you might do if you fail as you wouldn't be enrolled for a time.

ReputationRep:
    Not the entire payment but the amount for however many days between when you leave and the next payment. If you finish then you won't owe anything, you might do if you fail as you wouldn't be enrolled for a time.
    There is a bonus year entitlement of maintenance loan if you change a course, after finishing first year. Do you know if that applies to tuition loans too?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    There is a bonus year entitlement of maintenance loan if you change a course, after finishing first year. Do you know if that applies to tuition loans too?
    It does

ReputationRep:
    It does
    Thank you for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.