Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do universities recognise IB modules without the diploma? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m new to TSR...

I want to know whether the actual IB modules are worth anything to universities without the actual diploma. I want to take Art, Physics and History HL and Maths, German and Music SL and drop English, so I wouldn’t get the certificate.

Does anyone know of any universities that have accepted people like this with the modules and points but not the certificate? How would I know if their admissions policy on this if it’s not on the website? My dream is to go to Oxbridge or a good uni in the USA with a scholarship so if anyone knows about their admission policy that would be great!!

Is the risk of coming away from secondary school without any certificate too great? Or should I just drop music (even though I love it so much) and take history and English and get the diploma?

This is such a long question but a reply would be SO appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know that some unis will definitely accept ib certificates but you have to phone up and check as usually they accept them alongside an A level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Universities that cite their requirements in terms of UCAS points will definitely accept individual IB subjects. Oxbridge probably won't, though. Good universities have minimum IB Diploma score requirements (depending on your subject). Here's an example requirement for the History course at Oxford:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...history?wssl=1

(click on the requirements tab)

Notice that the requirement says, "Includes core points", which implies that the candidate is taking the full Diploma. I'd say it's definitely worth contacting whichever university you have in mind and explaining your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim_72)
    Absolutely. Universities that cite their requirements in terms of UCAS points will definitely accept individual IB subjects. Oxbridge probably won't, though. Good universities have minimum IB Diploma score requirements (depending on your subject). Here's an example requirement for the History course at Oxford:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...history?wssl=1

(click on the requirements tab)

Notice that the requirement says, "Includes core points", which implies that the candidate is taking the full Diploma. I'd say it's definitely worth contacting whichever university you have in mind and explaining your situation.
    Thank you SO much!!! This is a perfect answer and really really helpful. Now I’ve got to have a good think about my options 🤔🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenfasham)
    Thank you SO much!!! This is a perfect answer and really really helpful. Now I’ve got to have a good think about my options 🤔🤔
    You're welcome!

I should also have pointed out that some unis I looked at (can't remember which ones) explicitly asked for an IB Diploma as an entry requirement. These were Unis that were nowhere near Oxbridge in terms of entry standards.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.