Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in the middle of doing my UCAS personal statement, though I am having trouble on which course to take; either tourism management or journalism. For uni options, I have chosen 2 tourism courses and 2 journalism course and 1 multimedia journalism/tourism management course. I'm finding it hard how to link my personal statement for 2 courses. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyy0801)
    I am in the middle of doing my UCAS personal statement, though I am having trouble on which course to take; either tourism management or journalism. For uni options, I have chosen 2 tourism courses and 2 journalism course and 1 multimedia journalism/tourism management course. I'm finding it hard how to link my personal statement for 2 courses. Please help.
    I'm not surprised you're having problems. You are likely to confuse and probably alienate anyone reading such a mishmash of a PS. Why are you doing this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    I'm not surprised you're having problems. You are likely to confuse and probably alienate anyone reading such a mishmash of a PS. Why are you doing this?
    Because I don't know what course to take? both courses appeal to me

ReputationRep:
    you are still going to have to choose which course to do in the end so it is best to do it now so that you can write a better ps orientated to a specific course

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk about your interests ie types of journalism ?? and cover each of the subjects you're applying to, keeping it general and not too specific but showing interests in the areas so they don't reject it thinking youre not interested in that course and that they're just a back up?

ReputationRep:
    You should never apply for two different courses, as you only get 1 personal statement for them. In the past admissions tutors have found that personal statements like that often weren't sufficient for either course the applicant was applying for - they were trying to make it suit two different degrees, which just doesn't work effectively.

I know it's difficult, but now is the time to make choices. Choose one and stick to it, it's better to pursue something than stay undecided until the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    you are still going to have to choose which course to do in the end so it is best to do it now so that you can write a better ps orientated to a specific course
    This.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you’re having trouble deciding then write a PS for each subject. Articulating why you want to study each separately may well help you figure out which subject you actually want to study. One PS will often be much more fluent to write.

And if you’re still not sure then you’ll have a PS ready for either option and can spend the next two months before the deadline doing more research to help decide (and can swap your choices and PS at the last minute if needed).

ReputationRep:
    I would write a PS for each and see which one you think appeals most to you and then only apply to that course, however if you really want to apply for both courses then talk about areas common to both subjects. For example, you are interested in journalism looking at the impact of tourism on local communities, or even writing journals for tourists to hotspot tourist areas?

Don't forget you could always do a degree in tourism and then go into journalism after you've finished your degree.
    Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.