Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £255 per week for food and accommodation too much? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is for UCL halls of residence

ReputationRep:
    Well per year it works out to more than the actual tuition fees itself so yeah

But I'm not sure though....

ReputationRep:
    It's relative to your wealth. Most people at most uni's I know personally pay between £100-£130 on average with max person paying £160, outside London. I know 2 people In London, one pays £180, one £210. This is all without food.
    For me personally £255 is a lot and is probably very high in the context of the UK, but it depends how wealthy you are and how much you want to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Well per year it works out to more than the actual tuition fees itself so yeah

But I'm not sure though....
    Yeah for 40 weeks its £10,175

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Germania)
    This is for UCL halls of residence
    I'm currently at the LSE and I have about £230 a week, and it's more than enough. That being said, I'm in catered halls, so I have one meal a day provided to me. I also share a room, which keeps rent down.

My rent is about £140 a week, and I have £100 a week for everything else. I probably spend about £50 a week, unless I buy clothes, concert tickets etc. It really depends on your rent.

Personally, I think I could scrape by on about £180 a week including rent, and I'd probably be able to go for drinks.

You'll have to think about what you'll be spending money on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    It's relative to your wealth. Most people at most uni's I know personally pay between £100-£130 on average with max person paying £160, outside London. I know 2 people In London, one pays £180, one £210. This is all without food.
    For me personally £255 is a lot and is probably very high in the context of the UK, but it depends how wealthy you are and how much you want to pay.
    This is in London so I get a larger maintenance loan.

over a thousand a month! yeah thats a bit too much
    • Very Important Poster

What do you get for your money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What do you get for your money?
    Food for 7 days a week and accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    over a thousand a month! yeah thats a bit too much
    There are cheaper rooms but they're self catered and I'm worried about how much food will cost in London

ReputationRep:
    food costs the same every from a supermarket - aka all Tesco's are the same price. you can feed yourself easily on £25 a week so I don't think over a thousand pounds a month is justifiable for a single room and food. is there a cheaper option for you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    food costs the same every from a supermarket - aka all Tesco's are the same price. you can feed yourself easily on £25 a week so I don't think over a thousand pounds a month is justifiable for a single room and food. is there a cheaper option for you?
    Without food it's £230 a week
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    190 per week for just halls and 255 per week for food isn't too much however, you can reduce your food costs by not drinking too much or going to resturants everyweek etc and you will be able to survive on around 30quids per week. Again though, if you can afford it, then I don't see why it should be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    that’s pretty good especially for london. I️ don’t see how you’d do much cheaper than that in the city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviaminor)
    that’s pretty good especially for london. I️ don’t see how you’d do much cheaper than that in the city
    Thanks, it's also 8 minutes by foot so I guess that really helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it's also 8 minutes by foot so I guess that really helps
    No worries xx i’m definitely leaning towards garden halls as well.. for me it’s about $420 canadian/ week😆

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviaminor)
    No worries xx i’m definitely leaning towards garden halls as well.. for me it’s about $420 canadian/ week😆
    I haven't got an offer for UCL yet, just an interview invitation but always helps to be prepared XD

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got an offer for UCL yet, just an interview invitation but always helps to be prepared XD
    good luck at your interview then! x
    • Very Important Poster

Food for 7 days a week and accommodation
    I think you just have to accept thats the price of studying in London.

Food isnt that much more expensive if you shop properly but you are paying for location.

Compare it with your other options including private accommodation.

If you dont have the money, then take a gap , save money an go the next year.

ReputationRep:
    in that case I would take the halls self catering - you'll save money and it's better to cook for yourself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.