Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, as most of you will know - after Year 11, you get like 3 months off before you go up to Year 12. This is because you finish the school year before everyone else.

So, is it a good idea, for during those 3 months, introduce yourself to the alevels you want to do and teach yourself a bit of it. So your ready for the courses and you have a bit of a headstart when you start Year 12.

Anyone done this? Anyone reccomend or discourage it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    get the revision guides for the course you're doing but make sure you have the right exam board. start to make notes on the first chapters it's likely just above gcse level (mine were) so it won't be difficult

ReputationRep:
    Well it couldnt hurt but generally speaking the subjects will start at the lowest denominator and work upwards so it isnt really required.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any way that it might be a bad idea, it's just unnecessary as you'll probably be doing the exact same **** over again once you start doing A level proper.

That said, if you've got literally nothing better to do with your time over the summer then by all means do it. It might let you chill out a little bit more once year 12 starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    So, as most of you will know - after Year 11, you get like 3 months off before you go up to Year 12. This is because you finish the school year before everyone else.

So, is it a good idea, for during those 3 months, introduce yourself to the alevels you want to do and teach yourself a bit of it. So your ready for the courses and you have a bit of a headstart when you start Year 12.

Anyone done this? Anyone reccomend or discourage it?
    You could do using revision guides, but the teachers will start you off as though you know nothing anyway. How did you find GCSE study?

In the long run, it may benefit you more to get a summer job or take part in something like NCS. These will look brilliant on your CV when you are looking for work in the future as a lot of positions want some sort of experience! They will also make you come across as a more rounded person when applying to further education.

ReputationRep:
    Nah that's your chill time away from studies... which you are going to have to do for some time after.
    Instead why not take a summer job, or partake ncs, volunteer etc things you can put on cv.

You could maybe do the studying in a fun way if you really wanted to, but I wouldn't advise revision guides etc. Maybe documentaries or things to build up rounder knowledge on the subject areas. And you'll enjoy it more too.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing some work in the summer before you start, definitely. I take biology and chemistry a levels, and CGP have 'head start' hides designed for bridging the gap between GCSE and A levels which I found helpful. I also take philosophy, so I asked for some book recommendations from the teachers, which I read and then found extremely helpful later on.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    help i got a real problem guys

ReputationRep:
    The only work I would do is just consolidate the higher level GCSE content.

It would be more beneficial to go back completely refreshed and ready to go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.