Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Welcome!

(Thought I'd try this out...)

Brief history: After a terrible year 10(I'm not even kidding I had to teach myself biology, came out with an 8 although I don't recommend) I've decided to document my journey through year 11.. hopefully this year is better. I'm a year 11 student from London who loves science, food, music, TWD, Game of Thrones, Dexter and above all.. procrastinating.

Predicted(end of y10);
    english lang - 8
    english lit - 8
    physics - 8
    chemistry - 8
    biology - 8
    geography - 7
    religious studies - 7
    maths - 6
    french - 5(i know I'm terrible)
    ECDL - Di*

Aiming for;
    english lang - 8
    english lit - 8/9
    physics - 8/9
    chemistry - 8/9
    biology - 8
    geography - 8
    religious studies - 7
    maths - 7/8
    french - 5
    ECDL - Di*

Subject roundup:
    Best subjects - English(lang&lit), Chem, Phys - the teachers are amazing, content is interesting

Middle subjects - Geography, Bio, French, Maths - teachers are again amazing, but it the people who make up the class... they don't care at all about their learning

Worst subject - Religious studies... no, just no. Things used to be ok but now..

I'll try and update this once a week(I say that now lmao) Bye!! (P.S. the name's Shannon)

currently reading - War & Peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srennie)

Welcome!

(Thought I'd try this out...)

Brief history: After a terrible year 10(I'm not even kidding I had to teach myself biology, came out with an 8 although I don't recommend) I've decided to document my journey through year 11.. hopefully this year is better. I'm a year 11 student from London who loves science, food, music, TWD, Game of Thrones, Dexter and above all.. procrastinating.

Predicted(end of y10);
    english lang - 8
    english lit - 8
    physics - 8
    chemistry - 8
    biology - 8
    geography - 7
    religious studies - 7
    maths - 6
    french - 5(i know I'm terrible)
    ECDL - Di*

Aiming for;
    english lang - 8
    english lit - 8/9
    physics - 8/9
    chemistry - 8/9
    biology - 8
    geography - 8
    religious studies - 7
    maths - 7/8
    french - 5
    ECDL - Di*

Subject roundup:
    Best subjects - English(lang&lit), Chem, Phys - the teachers are amazing, content is interesting

Middle subjects - Geography, Bio, French, Maths - teachers are again amazing, but it the people who make up the class... they don't care at all about their learning

Worst subject - Religious studies... no, just no. Things used to be ok but now..

I'll try and update this once a week(I say that now lmao) Bye!! (P.S. the name's Shannon)

good luck! will be following this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    good luck! will be following this
    Thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good luck, they are some impressive grades and predictions you have there! Any ideas what you want to study at A level yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Good luck, they are some impressive grades and predictions you have there! Any ideas what you want to study at A level yet?
    Thank you! I hope to study Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography and try and do AS Latin/Further maths if I can
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you! I hope to study Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography and try and do AS Latin/Further maths if I can
    They are great choices! I've never done any latin at all, I did all your others at AS/A2 though except geography which I wish I had. It's a really good combination too!

ReputationRep:

Update 1

(18/11/17)

This week was ok, I got some tests back from the week before and got a 9 in English, and 8 in geography and an 8 in physics. Don't get me wrong I'm happy of course, but I seriously thought that I had failed the English test, so I'm still in a bit of a shock.
    I also caught up with a friend that I haven't spoken to in months so that was good, he gave me the motivation that my revision is not in vain, and that i wont fail (im terrified i will).

My mocks are in just over 2 weeks and to say im panicking is to say the least...
    Biology is on B1-4, Physics P1-4 and Chemistry C1-5 (everyone in triple science failed last mock)
    English lit is on Macbeth and Insp calls (we did poetry and christmas carol last mock)
    All we know for eng lang is that its not a story
    Maths is topics 1-12 (topic 12 is quadratics and i hate quadratics)
    Geography is component 2- UK
    RS is Kingdom of God, creation, incarnation and triune god

I feel ok for the English, Science, Geography and Maths mocks. Lately i've been getting all the grade 8-9 maths questions right so thats boosted my confidence a little. Also, when i told one of my close friends that i wanted an 8 in my maths mock she looked at me and laughed. Not going to lie, that hurt. But its given me extra motivation to prove her wrong and get the grade. Even if i dont get an 8, i'll still be in a 7.
    RS however, im just going to read the textbook and hope for the best..

Until next week..

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You can do it! Keep going steadily and you'll be okay. Mocks are there to show you what you need to work on and if there's any areas you need more help with, so don't worry too much if you don't know absolutely everything it looks like you're going to do great!

ReputationRep:

Update 2

(25/11/17)

This week was horrible.
    I nearly collapsed twice, broke down crying on Monday, barely slept or ate. Honestly I'm panicking over mocks, my first is on Thursday, Geography and I've been doing non stop revision for almost every subject for weeks now yet I still feel unprepared.
    I got my report from the school and the grades on there were absolute lies. I have been consistently getting 8's but they give me 7's on the report. That annoyed me because I work so hard to get these grades.

Today was black friday, I got a Samsung tablet and some clothes which was good.

Until next week..
    Currently reading - War & Peace
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Remember to give yourself a break too if you're all burnt out you won't perform at your best anyway. Make yourself a timetable of when you can eat, sleep, relax etc (even take a day off altogether!), make sure it's realistic and try and stick to it. Then go out there and prove those teachers wrong!

ReputationRep:

Update 3

09/12/17

Mocks are over.

They were probably the most exhausting experience I've had.

MOCKS BREAKDOWN

Geography
    There was wayyyyy too much to do in the time we had. 3 sections, 1 12 mark question around 5ish 8 mark questions, millions of four markers among everything else. Majority of us didn't finish the whole paper . I did everything except 1 4 mark question.

English lit
    To be fair it was probably the best exam I had

Maths paper 1
    I'm hoping the grades boundaries are as low as my self esteem after that paper

RE
    It was fine. I've got an absolutely horrible teacher for this subject so I self-taught all the mocks topics.

Maths paper 2
    Better than the first

Physics
    The best out of all the science exams

French
    Easiest paper I did. To be fair I am doing foundation French, but I asked my teacher if I can move to higher. Mainly to boost the point score but also for the challenge

Biology
    The worst of the sciences

English lang
    This paper was actually the devil. No matter how much time you think you have, you don't have enough. The questions were repetitive, transactional writing was a myth, and the 40 marker... I've never lied as much in my life as I did in that essay.

Maths paper 3
    Beautiful. This may be the one that saves my maths grade.

Chemistry
    Not too bad

For reference the papers we did were all specimen ones from the exam boards (English, geography and maths edexcel, the rest aqa). I revised quite a lot for these mocks so I'm hoping my results are not too bad, the only thing I can hope for now is low grade boundaries.

Until next week...
    Currently reading - War & Peace + re-reading Science but not as we know it(I recommend)

ReputationRep:

Update 4(?)

19/20/17

Nothing much has happened in the last 10 days so this update will be pretty boring..

- I got replies from two sixth forms inviting me to interviews and entrance exams
    - I'm going to a Christmas party tomorrow which should be fun
    - I've been getting into watching more ted talks
    - I've also got a stupid amount of work to do this holiday but guess who hasn't even started... My procrastinator tendencies are coming back(as if they ever left).
    - My mental health is non-existent as usual
    - I'm honestly thinking that I've failed my mocks

Yeah I did say this update would be boring

Until next week...(This is not even weekly anymore but oh well)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Update 4(?)

19/20/17

Nothing much has happened in the last 10 days so this update will be pretty boring..

- I got replies from two sixth forms inviting me to interviews and entrance exams
    - I'm going to a Christmas party tomorrow which should be fun
    - I've been getting into watching more ted talks
    - I've also got a stupid amount of work to do this holiday but guess who hasn't even started... My procrastinator tendencies are coming back(as if they ever left).
    - My mental health is non-existent as usual
    - I'm honestly thinking that I've failed my mocks

Yeah I did say this update would be boring

Until next week...(This is not even weekly anymore but oh well)
    Have you seen the mental health support society on here? Will link it when I can. But one day at a time enjoy the party, and well done on the interviews!

ReputationRep:

Update 5

(07/01/18)

So I got some of my mocks back...

Biology
    I got a 6(this mock was just every kind of wrong)

Physics
    Came out with an 8, ngl I'm pretty happy with this. I know I can do better though

Chemistry
    Also came out with an 8

Geography
    8 again. I'm pleased with this as my teacher has been refusing to give me an 8 for over a year, so this is me proving to her that I'm a grade 8 student

Maths
    Came out with a 6 but was top of my class...

English lit
    6... let's just not even talk about this one

The ones I'm waiting for are English Lang, RE, French
    You can see that these mocks were a mess I either did really well or failed(even the ones I failed I came top of the class I don't understand)

There is another round of mocks in feb so I'm hoping to improve my grades for that time

Oh and...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

LMAO I know I'm a week late but 2018 right?!?! Hopefully this year is amazing and we can all forget 2017 even happened...

Also some life updates
    - I hit 50% German fluency on duolingo
    - I just wrote a speech on culture
    - I'm being about 1% more productive than usual(wow shannon)

Until next week..
    Currently reading - War and peace
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Those mocks are fine some are great and the others by no means bad! You have time to work on them and improve where you want to before exams. So well done you!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.