Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can you become e good psychiatrist despite going through your own battles? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i was wondering, could i become a good psychiatrist despite fighting my own mental health battles? it is my dream to become a psychiatrist because i just really want to help those going through things that society frowns upon.
    however, i'm worried that i won't be allowed to be one/be able to be a good one.
    what do you think?

thank you so much for any replies xx

(Original post by lanababe78)
    hiya,

i was wondering, could i become a good psychiatrist despite fighting my own mental health battles? it is my dream to become a psychiatrist because i just really want to help those going through things that society frowns upon.
    however, i'm worried that i won't be allowed to be one/be able to be a good one.
    what do you think?

thank you so much for any replies xx
    I've been to court and it was a battle, now I'm off to be a solicitor!

It's possible with drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been to court and it was a battle, now I'm off to be a solicitor!

It's possible with drive.
    wow! well done! thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    yes thats more of a reason you'd make a good one, because you can relate and reflect on your own personal experiences
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it would probably depend on a few things: what your mental health battles have been, whether they are still ongoing, and how "severe" they are (in terms of impacting on all the studying you will have to do, and your fitness to practice as a doctor). You would have to pass occupational health at/to get into med school :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I imagine it would probably depend on a few things: what your mental health battles have been, whether they are still ongoing, and how "severe" they are (in terms of impacting on all the studying you will have to do, and your fitness to practice as a doctor). You would have to pass occupational health at/to get into med school :yes:
    thank you so much for the very helpful reply! can i just ask, what do you mean by 'fitness to practice as a doctor'? i haven't really looked too far into the details of the process .
    thank you, again x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    yes thats more of a reason you'd make a good one, because you can relate and reflect on your own personal experiences
    thank you so much for the reply- i didn't think of think of it in that perspective, before! x

ReputationRep:
    Depends... would it affect your mental health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Depends... would it affect your mental health?
    i'm not 100% sure- i'm bulimic, so i'm not sure if it would? i'm a very empathetic person, too, so maybe it could? i really have no idea xx

ReputationRep:
    i'm not 100% sure- i'm bulimic, so i'm not sure if it would? i'm a very empathetic person, too, so maybe it could? i really have no idea xx
    It is something you can look into. Research into it, see if others with similar EDs have done so etc and how it was for them too.
    Being empathetic is a good trait, but can you also remain detached and headstrong with the cases you deal with or would that take its toll on you?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I wanted to do this til I realised I wouldn't deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    It is something you can look into. Research into it, see if others with similar EDs have done so etc and how it was for them too.
    Being empathetic is a good trait, but can you also remain detached and headstrong with the cases you deal with or would that take its toll on you?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I wanted to do this til I realised I wouldn't deal
    i will do! thank you so much for the replies; you've really helped! xx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for the very helpful reply! can i just ask, what do you mean by 'fitness to practice as a doctor'? i haven't really looked too far into the details of the process .
    thank you, again x
    Well if you have a mental health issue that is fairly under control, it's unlikely to impact upon your ability to be a doctor. Whereas if it's an ongoing and/or severe issue that impedes your day-to-day life, then you are less likely to be able to get through all the studies and training and to do your role properly. As I'm sure you appreciate, being a doctor is hugely tough and stressful, and so you need to be in good health to be able to carry out your duties. So fitness to practice as a doctor means being able to do your duties and being healthy/well enough to do so.

If you declared your bulimia when applying for medical school, my understanding is you would have to undergo an occupational health test, to make sure you are fit to study the course, and to provide you with any support you may need in order to do this (within reason. Obviously if you're completely unfit to study the course, then there's not much they can do!)

I should add I'm no doctor/medical student myself, but I think what I've said would all stand true.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you have a mental health issue that is fairly under control, it's unlikely to impact upon your ability to be a doctor. Whereas if it's an ongoing and/or severe issue that impedes your day-to-day life, then you are less likely to be able to get through all the studies and training and to do your role properly. As I'm sure you appreciate, being a doctor is hugely tough and stressful, and so you need to be in good health to be able to carry out your duties. So fitness to practice as a doctor means being able to do your duties and being healthy/well enough to do so.

If you declared your bulimia when applying for medical school, my understanding is you would have to undergo an occupational health test, to make sure you are fit to study the course, and to provide you with any support you may need in order to do this (within reason. Obviously if you're completely unfit to study the course, then there's not much they can do!)

I should add I'm no doctor/medical student myself, but I think what I've said would all stand true.
    wow, i had no idea about this process. however, i do think my bulimia is fairly under control; it doesn't affect my day-to-day life massively. thank you so, so much for opening up my eyes to this; you have helped very much! xx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    wow, i had no idea about this process. however, i do think my bulimia is fairly under control; it doesn't affect my day-to-day life massively. thank you so, so much for opening up my eyes to this; you have helped very much! xx
    No problem. Whatever you end up studying, I think it's best to declare about your bulimia on disability forms/checkboxes on UCAS, etc. as that way you can get the support you need. Wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Whatever you end up studying, I think it's best to declare about your bulimia on disability forms/checkboxes on UCAS, etc. as that way you can get the support you need. Wish you the best of luck
    i will do, indeed. thank you so much, again xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.