Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deciding between Lillian Penson House and Garden Halls - LPH is £205 per week for catered single room with bathroom vs Garden Halls £255 per week for the same (but much nicer accommodation). LPH is slightly further away from UCL but quick to get to by tube. I'm willing to live in accommodation that isn't so nice as long as it's not unhygienic/rat infested so anyone with experience of either please comment! Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living in Garden Halls and studying at UCL. I'm in the self catered bit but I absolutely love it here. It's really nice and all of my friends who visit say it's a lot nicer than their accommodations. The main catered bit is like a hotel! And obviously a bonus is that it's an 8 minute walk to uni so the 9am's don't seem so bad! Also King's cross, Russell square and Euston stations are all a 4/5 minute walk away. The gardens/tennis courts out the front are really nice too, especially if you're interested in playing as you can rent all the equipment for free I can't say much for LPH, but GH is great and if you have any more questions about GH/UCL/the area/anything else, I'm happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marnalarn)
    I'm currently living in Garden Halls and studying at UCL. I'm in the self catered bit but I absolutely love it here. It's really nice and all of my friends who visit say it's a lot nicer than their accommodations. The main catered bit is like a hotel! And obviously a bonus is that it's an 8 minute walk to uni so the 9am's don't seem so bad! Also King's cross, Russell square and Euston stations are all a 4/5 minute walk away. The gardens/tennis courts out the front are really nice too, especially if you're interested in playing as you can rent all the equipment for free I can't say much for LPH, but GH is great and if you have any more questions about GH/UCL/the area/anything else, I'm happy to help
    Thank you for the help. I'm just concerned about the cost of £10,175 per year for the catered accommodation, but then again it includes food.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it is expensive but this is London and you're paying for great quality. Plus, there aren't any supermarkets so groceries can really add up, so it probably doesn't work out too bad a deal! It'll only be 2 years old by the time you arrive next year so it's still really new and fresh. Is there a reason you wanted to be catered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marnalarn)
    Yeah, it is expensive but this is London and you're paying for great quality. Plus, there aren't any supermarkets so groceries can really add up, so it probably doesn't work out too bad a deal! It'll only be 2 years old by the time you arrive next year so it's still really new and fresh. Is there a reason you wanted to be catered?
    Not necessarily, but as you said this seems like a good deal as the room by itself is £220 per week. Other places have similar rooms for £190 a week self-catered, but they are usually quite far away from UCL and certainly not an 8-minute walk away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Germania)
    Not necessarily, but as you said this seems like a good deal as the room by itself is £220 per week. Other places have similar rooms for £190 a week self-catered, but they are usually quite far away from UCL and certainly not an 8-minute walk away!
    Well I'm in the self-catered section. It's £195/week but you do have the option of using their canteen for all/some of the meals. A girl I'm living with has bought a pass which means she's effectively catered but living in our block and it works out cheaper over all. The only difference is that in our bit we have our own toilets etc in our rooms but we share showers- 1 between 2. It's a lot more social in the self-catered bit too as you share a (rather large) kitchen which is a really communal space!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.