Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which uni courses make it likely to transfer to medicine in the second year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course courses like history or english wouldn't, I presume. So Biomedical science, what others?

Okay guys, some nice answers, but please stop assuming this is specifically related to me. I'm exploring courses and course options.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    Of course courses like history or english wouldn't, I presume.
    The are a handful of courses, such as Bradford's clinical sciences, that offer teh opportunity to transfer to their linked medical programme. However, there are only a few places for transfers each year and the competition is high.

Other than that, there aren't opportunities to transfer in to medicine. You either apply to study undergraduate medicine (either getting AAA or applying to foundation courses), or if that isn't feasible you complete another degree and apply for graduate entry (the less preferred option).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    There isn't a "likely" course, whichever way you define "likely". It is very uncommon for anyone to transfer, so definitely don't depend on this way to go into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Likely? None. Improbable but possible? A few very specific courses at very specific universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    As someone who has done it I really wouldn't recommend relying on this way to get into medicine. You are much better off getting your Alevels and applying straight into medicine, even if you have to take a gap year or two.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    As someone who has done it I really wouldn't recommend relying on this way to get into medicine. You are much better off getting your Alevels and applying straight into medicine, even if you have to take a gap year or two.
    What if you're already in your gap year and are retaking your subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    What if you're already in your gap year and are retaking your subjects
    Retaking which ones and what did you originally get? Have you applied this year?

ReputationRep:
    This question doesn't have to mean directly I'm interested in this pathway or at all. But to answer ur question I'm reapplying to uni ( for a diff course (didn't apply for med to begin with) for this coming year. I'm also missing the big chemistry which I'm aware aspiring med students need. You said you've done it, can you tell me a little bit about how that went for you, what A levels you took and which course you transferred from? Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    Only courses that have approved links with the specific medical school can transfer and then it is only the very very best students that do (in fact it is probably harder to transfer than it is the get in straight through A-levels)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    This question doesn't have to mean directly I'm interested in this pathway or at all. But to answer ur question I'm reapplying to uni ( for a diff course (didn't apply for med to begin with) for this coming year. I'm also missing the big chemistry which I'm aware aspiring med students need. You said you've done it, can you tell me a little bit about how that went for you, what A levels you took and which course you transferred from? Thank you for your time
    You should either do a foundation year in medicine (offered by several unis) or do a chemistry A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    Studying Biomedical at St George's is probably your best bet as they accept around 20 people onto their transfer course. You would have to complete your BSc in Biomedical Sciences and you would enter year 2 in the GEP medicine course.

However it is very difficult to get the transfer as you would be completing with 200 extremely hard working students along with the fact that to be considered for the transfer you will need a 66-68% average in your first two years of Biomedical Sciences. After getting the grade requirements you would be invited to an MMI for the transfer.

It is very possible to get into Medicine via this pathway as many of my friends have gotten in, however it requires a lot of hard work.

Another great thing about the transfer is that you do not need to do any aptitude exams and they do not look at your GCSE/A-Level grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaland808)
    Studying Biomedical at St George's is probably your best bet as they accept around 20 people onto their transfer course. You would have to complete your BSc in Biomedical Sciences and you would enter year 2 in the GEP medicine course.

However it is very difficult to get the transfer as you would be completing with 200 extremely hard working students along with the fact that to be considered for the transfer you will need a 66-68% average in your first two years of Biomedical Sciences. After getting the grade requirements you would be invited to an MMI for the transfer.

It is very possible to get into Medicine via this pathway as many of my friends have gotten in, however it requires a lot of hard work.

Another great thing about the transfer is that you do not need to do any aptitude exams and they do not look at your GCSE/A-Level grades.
    OPcant do bio med at st georges as they dont have a chem alevel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    OPcant do bio med at st georges as they dont have a chem alevel
    Ohhhh, I did not read that. Not having chemistry at level limits your options.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I know people who've transferred from other courses into medicine at Edinburgh. My understanding is that it can be any course, but is only used to fill up spots made by an offerslaces mismatch. Therefore, in some years there might not be any places and even if there are, there will be high competition.

So overall, not something to rely on, and I would personally go down the reapplying route. But if you did another course with the aim of GEM, this could be an opportunity to look out for. I'm sure other universities may have a similar small number of places.

For more information see this link: https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...ok_final_1.pdf, page 52-53

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    There isn't a "likely" course, whichever way you define "likely". It is very uncommon for anyone to transfer, so definitely don't depend on this way to go into medicine.
    From what I understand sometimes this is the only other way for some people. Also, although it is uncommon, people still do, very few, but it does happen, so this is still considered a way for people that want to. By "likely" I mean likelier than others, like the examples I provided; I would assume your chances aren't that strong, to say the least, if you were going in (in the second year) from an English course than, for instance, a Biomedical science course.

ReputationRep:
    Keele has a foundation medicine course for people without Chemistry at A-Level

ReputationRep:

Thank you, that was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damza)
    Thank you, that was helpful help!
    SGUL requires A-Level Chemistry (at grade B, but sometimes will allow a C) for their Biomedical Science course.

ReputationRep:
    SGUL requires A-Level Chemistry (at grade B, but sometimes will allow a C) for their Biomedical Science course.
    Thanks for adding and lol that at the extra help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Retaking which ones and what did you originally get? Have you applied this year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.