Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc Clinical Pharmacology (University of Glasgow) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm in the last year of my biology undergrad at a university outside the UK. I think my results will be equal to a 2.1.
    While looking for Master options at Glasgow i came across the MSc in Clinical Pharmacology. It sounds really interesting and as i want to go to med school after my masters i think i would definitely benefit from it.
    Unfortunately i am not very good at inorganic/organic chemistry but enjoy biochemistry on the other hand.
    I enjoy molecular medicine etc. but don't want to spend a year just learning chemical structures of drugs rather than learning how they work and affect the human body.

I've already messaged the University but didn't get a reply yet.
    So my question is:
    in what extend is chemistry involved in this degree? if chemistry is not my favorite will this degree still be suitable for me?
    I'm just afraid that when it comes to master level i would be missing too many basics of chemistry that it takes to finish this programme successfully.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonMcLean)
    Hey,

I'm in the last year of my biology undergrad at a university outside the UK. I think my results will be equal to a 2.1.
    While looking for Master options at Glasgow i came across the MSc in Clinical Pharmacology. It sounds really interesting and as i want to go to med school after my masters i think i would definitely benefit from it.
    Unfortunately i am not very good at inorganic/organic chemistry but enjoy biochemistry on the other hand.
    I enjoy molecular medicine etc. but don't want to spend a year just learning chemical structures of drugs rather than learning how they work and affect the human body.

I've already messaged the University but didn't get a reply yet.
    So my question is:
    in what extend is chemistry involved in this degree? if chemistry is not my favorite will this degree still be suitable for me?
    I'm just afraid that when it comes to master level i would be missing too many basics of chemistry that it takes to finish this programme successfully.

Thanks!
    The entry requirements and course info will tell you how much chem is needed but I'd imagine you would have to understand chemical structures of drugs to understand how they work. I did biochem at uni and spent quite a bit of time doing pure chem to form the basis of my understanding. My other concern is why you are doing a masters degree if you want to go to med school?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the uni website doesn't provide much info about the exact classes and their content. Entry requirements are just a 2.1 in biosciences or medicine.
    Maybe someone who studies/studied Clinical Pharmacology could give me some advice.
    Regarding med school: I am from Germany. Our med school admissions system guarantees entry after a certain time (some years at the moment). I will have finished my bachelors by june 2018 and then will have one year left before i get admitted directly to med school and wanted to spend that year studying to improve my english and medical knowledge.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonMcLean)
    Hey,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the uni website doesn't provide much info about the exact classes and their content. Entry requirements are just a 2.1 in biosciences or medicine.
    Maybe someone who studies/studied Clinical Pharmacology could give me some advice.
    Regarding med school: I am from Germany. Our med school admissions system guarantees entry after a certain time (some years at the moment). I will have finished my bachelors by june 2018 and then will have one year left before i get admitted directly to med school and wanted to spend that year studying to improve my english and medical knowledge.
    Ok, the requirements are different in the UK.

Postgrads don't tend to stick around. The uni website has info about the modules but you may not get info about exact classes and content as that can change year on year. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Ok, the requirements are different in the UK.

Postgrads don't tend to stick around. The uni website has info about the modules but you may not get info about exact classes and content as that can change year on year. Good luck!
    Thanks a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.