Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computer Science OCR Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to still get a decent mark if you mess up the NEA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emxlyy8)
    Yes. Isn't it only 20% of your final grade, anyway?

I mean don't mess it up deliberately, but if you get a low mark don't be too disheartened and instead focus on the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say so. It's 20% of the mark, and only 50% of the marks come from coding. If it makes you feel any better, I know that both myself and others in my class are also struggling with it. My teacher has said a majority of marks are in the development and testing section, and that code doesn't have to be fully functional- you just have to prove parts of it work with screenshots. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilaccis)
    I'd say so. It's 20% of the mark, and only 50% of the marks come from coding. If it makes you feel any better, I know that both myself and others in my class are also struggling with it. My teacher has said a majority of marks are in the development and testing section, and that code doesn't have to be fully functional- you just have to prove parts of it work with screenshots. Good luck.
    What if for example get less than HALF of the code working, will I still get some marks for the write up if I test it and evaluate it thoroughly?

ReputationRep:
    What if for example get less than HALF of the code working, will I still get some marks for the write up if I test it and evaluate it thoroughly?
    Yeah, you'd definitely get some marks for the coding provided you said what you did, what elements weren't working, documented trying to solve them. Granted, it may only be a few marks, but that could be the difference between a grade boundary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilaccis)
    Yeah, you'd definitely get some marks for the coding provided you said what you did, what elements weren't working, documented trying to solve them. Granted, it may only be a few marks, but that could be the difference between a grade boundary.
    What are the grade boundaries (approx.)? will it be possible to get a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Yes. Isn't it only 20% of your final grade, anyway?

I mean don't mess it up deliberately, but if you get a low mark don't be too disheartened and instead focus on the exam.
    Do you know the grade boundaries? If I get 60 marks in the project how many do I roughly need to get in each exam to get a B overall?

Also, I'm finding computer systems topics hard to understand. So i plan to memorize it and practice questions based on what I have memorized. And maybe try to understand the second papers topics more but if I can't then do the same for that exam paper aswell. Do you think this is efficient enough?

If I commit two full days a week on this will it be enough?

Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.