Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I really want to pass my test and I'm getting sick of my instructor. Basically, I've been driving since the end of may (23 lessons to date). I'd say i have a really good understanding of driving; I just keep making stupid mistakes. My instructor tells my friends that I'm ready to book my test but he doesn't tell me that! I think the main issue is that i haven't passed my theory (Booked for next week. 3rd time luck?) I've taken it twice before but failed by 1 mark both times. I have one 1 hour lesson a week but realistically they're only 35-40 minutes as he sits outside my house for ages talking to me first!

I personally think that if i did a 20 hour course i would have a good chance of passing. My only issue is that it's £655 and if i fail i fail, no refund. I think my parents would pay for this for Christmas for the week commencing 15th of Jan (week after my birthday!) what does everyone think? Should i do it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why would you get a refund if you fail? That's not the company's problem. I've been told these crash courses aren't recommended. The average time for people to pass their test is 20 hours of lessons anyway, so to me it seems pretty pointless. You will eventually pass.

The dvla recommend 44 hours of driving before someone is ready to pass. I passed with 30 hours. And intensive driving course only prepares you to pass your test and doesnt give you the experience nor confidence to drive in the real world!!! There is no way someone can learn to drive in 5 days despite you already having previous experience. Be patient, you will pass when you pass. If youre unhappy with your driving instructor then find a new one but i would not recommend intensive courses. No guarantee that you'll pass then you'll have to pay extra for more lessons and tests. Its a complete scam.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Learning to drive.

ReputationRep:
    TLDR yes because you have some driving experience and your instructor thinks you're test reading. But I'd' read below anyway

(Original post by lukeprobert)
    Hi,

I really want to pass my test and I'm getting sick of my instructor. Basically, I've been driving since the end of may (23 lessons to date). I'd say i have a really good understanding of driving; I just keep making stupid mistakes. My instructor tells my friends that I'm ready to book my test but he doesn't tell me that! I think the main issue is that i haven't passed my theory (Booked for next week. 3rd time luck?) I've taken it twice before but failed by 1 mark both times. I have one 1 hour lesson a week but realistically they're only 35-40 minutes as he sits outside my house for ages talking to me first!

I personally think that if i did a 20 hour course i would have a good chance of passing. My only issue is that it's £655 and if i fail i fail, no refund. I think my parents would pay for this for Christmas for the week commencing 15th of Jan (week after my birthday!) what does everyone think? Should i do it?

Thanks
    1) Maybe trying not to make you over-confident? If this is the 3rd time on your theory; this should be your main focus - not your practical. This could also be why he's telling you you're not ready. Realistically you should be able to pass your theory within 15 minutes of walking into that booth lol.

2) Instructors can and will do this if you haven't passed your theory. Once you do; a lot of "talking" can be omitted and they'll focus on talking to you whilst driving if they're any good. If you're not happy; then intensive courses aren't the answer. A new instructor or a complaint is.

3) The question is - do you have £655 to throw away? It's not worth it. Don't rush it. You'll need that for your insurance.

My personal opinion is no, but there are enough pre-requisites assumes you pass your theory for it to be an option for you to do so.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Why would you get a refund if you fail? That's not the company's problem. I've been told these crash courses aren't recommended. The average time for people to pass their test is 20 hours of lessons anyway, so to me it seems pretty pointless. You will eventually pass.

There are some that will "guarantee" passes. And by that they usually mean once you fail - you'll pay for every consecutive test, but your lessons will be free in order to get past whatever failed you. Also saw someone on here mention they give you a fast track link for booking your test via DVLA; which means I guess after 10 days you'd probably be able to take it again? (Not sure)

ReputationRep:
    Crash courses are pretty decent. They are tiring and stressful, but you soon get to grips with everything very quickly by the end of the course. I think it is pretty effective because your training and knowledge is going to be all fresh in your mind everyday and you'll develop muscle memory very quickly. Things will start to become second nature.
    Learning 1 hour a week will take a lot longer to get where you want to be for your test because of the distance between each lesson.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.