Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 and wondering what tips can be given on how I can get an A* in economics?

Thank you - any advice is appreciated!! I was also wondering about grade boundaries and how difficult/easy it is to get an A* compared to other A levels as I have heard mixed reviews.

thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    See response in another thread:

(Original post by The Financier)
    I'm obviously not the OP but imo there is no golden bullet for getting an A*. A nice framework that I found to work for me in A-Level is to simply look at where you are weakest in the subject and to focus on improving that.

So for example, if the reason you got a U is because you've run out of time, concentrate on ways to improve your time management and keeping answers concise. If you don't understand the material, look at alternative sources that your teacher doesn't directly provide. Maybe econ websites like tutor2u are clearer for you, or maybe you prefer videos like those econplusdal ones on Youtube. As long as you understand the material, it doesn't matter how you learn it and as we all have our own preferences, you need to find what works for you.

By building on the areas where you are weakest first, your marginal benefit is likely higher as you're not leaving it to chance that one topic/area will doom your exam performance.
    Take it with a pinch of salt of course, but that's what works for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    See response in another thread:

Take it with a pinch of salt of course, but that's what works for me.
    Thanks for the reply. I had a few Qs - firstly, what are the grade boundaries like to get an A* and did you find tutor2u revision notes detailed enough? And do you use a revision guide? Thanks!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by nish2910)
    Thanks for the reply. I had a few Qs - firstly, what are the grade boundaries like to get an A* and did you find tutor2u revision notes detailed enough? And do you use a revision guide? Thanks!!
    No problem. I myself didn't use a revision guide as I found online resources like tutor2u to be enough for me considering the amount of material my college provided me. There was also another good link that was posted around TSR a couple of years ago that helped me a lot in understanding the more difficult parts of the course but unfortunately they've stopped hosting the website.

If you're in the new cohort, the system to award you an A* changed recently and is detailed here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...s-are-changing Basically, they'll look at the proportion getting A*s in previous years and set a mark to achieve overall that they believe will roughly match that. See also here: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/3...-new-a-levels/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.