Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have never experienced the joy of a nice friendship group, nor will I ever. I will always be on my own and feel that there is no hope for me.

ReputationRep:
    What's stopping you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    What's stopping you?
    I have tried my best, however, I went through such a traumatic experience with people during my initial first year at Uni that I have lost all confidence in people. It was a changing experience and a fear that I will never have the confidence to actually mix with people and make friends again. I used to be so happy, however, what happened in 2014/15 changed all of that. I'll never be the same again. I had to take a year out and everything. I just can't bear the loneliness anymore. I worked so hard at school whilst I encountered such bullying - if I knew that all of that hard work wouldn't have got me anywhere I just wouldn't have bothered. I just feel so lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    I have tried my best, however, I went through such a traumatic experience with people during my initial first year at Uni that I have lost all confidence in people. It was a changing experience and a fear that I will never have the confidence to actually mix with people and make friends again. I used to be so happy, however, what happened in 2014/15 changed all of that. I'll never be the same again. I had to take a year out and everything. I just can't bear the loneliness anymore. I worked so hard at school whilst I encountered such bullying - if I knew that all of that hard work wouldn't have got me anywhere I just wouldn't have bothered. I just feel so lonely.
    Get help if you can't overcome it on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Get help if you can't overcome it on your own.
    I have no friends who can help me. I exist on my own. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    best bet is joining some clubs and finding ppl with common interests!! like do u have a favourite band? a passion for theatre? do u like marathons? literally anything! and don’t feel pressured to find people for the sake of “having friends”, there’s no point in forcing yourself to be part of a group if you’re not gonna enjoy urself or be comfortable. when things work out, they work out but for now maybe try getting involved in extra curricular thingies!

ReputationRep:
    I have no friends who can help me. I exist on my own. That is all.
    I meant professional help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anakarinas)
    best bet is joining some clubs and finding ppl with common interests!! like do u have a favourite band? a passion for theatre? do u like marathons? literally anything! and don’t feel pressured to find people for the sake of “having friends”, there’s no point in forcing yourself to be part of a group if you’re not gonna enjoy urself or be comfortable. when things work out, they work out but for now maybe try getting involved in extra curricular thingies!
    I really dream of fitting into a nice friendship group however, given all of the bullying and manipulation that I have suffered over the years I just have no faith in people. I have Aspergers and have always either been berated for it or manipulated by those who I thought were 'friends'.

ReputationRep:
    I meant professional help.
    I have had a lot in the past. It scratches the surface and helps a bit, however, it won't change my pessimism in how I see the world now. I used to be so happy. Now, I just embrace the loneliness. I'll never have a single friend, nor will I ever have. I have accepted the harsh reality of life that I will always be own and that is that. No joy, no love, no happiness. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    I really dream of fitting into a nice friendship group however, given all of the bullying and manipulation that I have suffered over the years I just have no faith in people. I have Aspergers and have always either been berated for it or manipulated by those who I thought were 'friends'.
    straight off the bat they’re *****y people, and they didn’t deserve any of your time. trauma is one of the hardest things to overcome so this isn’t going to be an easy process but the right people will come to you when they come to you, there’s no science behind it. just remember that most the friendship groups you see are heavily flawed, people are kinda stuck with each other for the fear of being alone and in the end they’re just miserable so if anything, do you what makes you feel comfortable not what everyone thinks you should do. you deserve high standards, friendship is a weird game but the more u make small talk with a cashier, smile at a stranger, just small things, the more youll feel comfortable to engage into wider conversations and figure out what type of person you are, your sense of humour, ur good traits and bad ones and youll realise other people share these too

ReputationRep:
    I have had a lot in the past. It scratches the surface and helps a bit, however, it won't change my pessimism in how I see the world now. I used to be so happy. Now, I just embrace the loneliness. I'll never have a single friend, nor will I ever have. I have accepted the harsh reality of life that I will always be own and that is that. No joy, no love, no happiness. That's it.
    You will with that attitude. It doesn't need to change your pessimism you just need the confidence to make some friends and then your new friendships will change your pessimism.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.