Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Read over a paragraph 6 times and still can't recall most of it. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I read over a paragraph I was trying to memorize 6 times and still couldn't recall most of it, when I tried to write down the whole paragraph by memory without looking at the book I couldn't really recall anything I read which made me so frustrated I shoved my text book away and was like **** this ****, Is there something wrong with me if I can't memorize most of the paragraph despite reading over it 6 times? Be honest with me

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning my French CA for GCSE, I read a sentence out loud a few times while looking at the sentence then I looked away and tried to recall that sentence. When I could recall that sentence, I moved on to the next line and did it again. After a few sentences, I then said the sentences out loud then repeated the process until I reached to each of the end of the paragraph. I also paced around the kitchen

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    This problem could be due to chronic compulsive masturbation, unhealthy diet, not enough sleep, too much spent playing video games, dealing with psychological pain poorly and not much to do with being stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekuyper)
    This problem could be due to chronic compulsive masturbation, unhealthy diet, not enough sleep, too much spent playing video games, dealing with psychological pain poorly and not much to do with being stupid.
    Well I definitively do not masturbate, not sure about unhealthy diet as I have been eating a lot of pizza this week for dinner, I do get enough sleep I think, I only spend 1 hour on average playing games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    When I was learning my French CA for GCSE, I read a sentence out loud a few times while looking at the sentence then I looked away and tried to recall that sentence. When I could recall that sentence, I moved on to the next line and did it again. After a few sentences, I then said the sentences out loud then repeated the process until I reached to each of the end of the paragraph. I also paced around the kitchen

Hope that helped
    My objective is to memorize that paragraph within 10 mins, does your method allow you to memorize a paragraph within 10 mins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I read over a paragraph I was trying to memorize 6 times and still couldn't recall most of it, when I tried to write down the whole paragraph by memory without looking at the book I couldn't really recall anything I read which made me so frustrated I shoved my text book away and was like **** this ****, Is there something wrong with me if I can't memorize most of the paragraph despite reading over it 6 times? Be honest with me
    Yes, there is something wrong with you. It's that you read it 6 times.

Reading alone is very ineffective when it comes to memorising and recalling. You need to use an active method.

Start by writing (or if it's for a speaking test, speaking out loud - even whispering is better than nothing) the first sentence out. Once you've done that a few times, try it from memory. Then add another sentence. Practice until you can recall those two from memory. Keep going until you've got the whole paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    Well I definitively do not masturbate
    Yes there's something wrong with you 😁😁
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you're to stressed,just inhale and exhale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)

Reading alone is very ineffective when it comes to memorising and recalling. You need to use an active method.

Start by writing (or if it's for a speaking test, speaking out loud - even whispering is better than nothing) the first sentence out. Once you've done that a few times, try it from memory. Then add another sentence. Practice until you can recall those two from memory. Keep going until you've got the whole paragraph.
    I need to write the first sentence more than one time? How long does this method take to memorise the whole paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    I need to write the first sentence more than one time? How long does this method take to memorise the whole paragraph?
    Depends how quickly you learn and how long the paragraph is. Your "10 minute" goal is unrealistic in my opinion. Just face the fact that you're going to have to spend time on it, especially if you want to still have it memorised in a day/week's time. But if you just read it over and over again, it will take longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)

Indeed. Then add the rest of the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Indeed. Then add the rest of the textbook.
    Except that you should never have to memorise a whole textbook. Just the key points.

I have never ever in my life been able to remember something just by reading it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.