Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do with my life? - Advice please!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm in year 12 and it feels like everyone else has their life figured out, they all seem to know what university courses they want to do and I don't even know which A level to drop (our school encourages us to take 4 then drop one after a while). My GCSEs were disappointing I got 2A* 5A 1B and 2C (1C was in FSMQ) so I know I am not working at a high enough level to study medicine. I love biology even though I find it sooooo difficult and know I want to study it further but I'm not sure what degrees you can do with a levels in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and what careers they can lead to. Also I was aspiring to go to a Russell group uni, is that a reasonable goal with my gsce results?
    Any advice is helpful xx

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, breathe.

Your gcses are very good. Personally, I think that if you want to study medicine, you should go for it, regardless of what you think about your GCSE results. I am in the same boat too. I have wanted to study medicine for a very long time! Maybe look on different university website to see what they want for medicine in terms of GCSE grades. For example, I know that Imperial, my dream university, would like AAABBB (if I can remember correctly) in certain subjects in any order. It's worth having a look, even if you are not sure about studying medicine.

If you decide not to go into medicine, then take a look at careers you can go into with different degrees. For example, with a degree in biology, you can go into research or teaching. Since you do Biology and Chemistry, you can go into biochemistry, biomedical science or even natural sciences. As you do maths, you can go into education, be a stock broker or be an actuary. With psychology you can go into neuroscience or mental health, as well as be a psychiatrist! With your A levels, you can practically do anything (apart from obvious degrees like English, since you don't take it)

As for dropping one, do you do progress tests? Personally, I think they are major indicators of which subject to drop! As well as this, think about how you feel about your subjects in general. Are you struggling with more than one? Is there one that your teachers think you should drop? Perhaps talk to them and see how they think you're doing. My main worry is that you might burn yourself out my carrying on with four. I always say that it's better to come out with three brilliant grades rather than four average ones. But, it's your choice and you may as well be capable to carry on with four.

There is a youtube called Ibz Mo, and he is really inspiring. He goes to Cambridge university and did not get a single A* at GCSE. What I am trying to say, is that your GCSE's a better than 'good enough'. You can do a lot with those grades!
    There is also a youtube called unjaded jade who wants to study biology, but has no idea what she wants to do in the future. Perhaps check her channel out.

Always remember to have faith and that things will work out eventually. Keep working hard and stay positive x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuttyPancake1234)
    Firstly, breathe.

Your gcses are very good. Personally, I think that if you want to study medicine, you should go for it, regardless of what you think about your GCSE results. I am in the same boat too. I have wanted to study medicine for a very long time! Maybe look on different university website to see what they want for medicine in terms of GCSE grades. For example, I know that Imperial, my dream university, would like AAABBB (if I can remember correctly) in certain subjects in any order. It's worth having a look, even if you are not sure about studying medicine.

If you decide not to go into medicine, then take a look at careers you can go into with different degrees. For example, with a degree in biology, you can go into research or teaching. Since you do Biology and Chemistry, you can go into biochemistry, biomedical science or even natural sciences. As you do maths, you can go into education, be a stock broker or be an actuary. With psychology you can go into neuroscience or mental health, as well as be a psychiatrist! With your A levels, you can practically do anything (apart from obvious degrees like English, since you don't take it)

As for dropping one, do you do progress tests? Personally, I think they are major indicators of which subject to drop! As well as this, think about how you feel about your subjects in general. Are you struggling with more than one? Is there one that your teachers think you should drop? Perhaps talk to them and see how they think you're doing. My main worry is that you might burn yourself out my carrying on with four. I always say that it's better to come out with three brilliant grades rather than four average ones. But, it's your choice and you may as well be capable to carry on with four.

There is a youtube called Ibz Mo, and he is really inspiring. He goes to Cambridge university and did not get a single A* at GCSE. What I am trying to say, is that your GCSE's a better than 'good enough'. You can do a lot with those grades!
    There is also a youtube called unjaded jade who wants to study biology, but has no idea what she wants to do in the future. Perhaps check her channel out.

Always remember to have faith and that things will work out eventually. Keep working hard and stay positive x
    Thanks so much, you really put things into perspective for me. I am still waiting on a coupe of results from my progress test and I have a meeting with my head of year about post 18 options next week which should give me an idea of what to drop, because as you say 4 subjects is such a huge workload. My subject teachers all want me to continue with their subject, but none of them think I should do 4 A levels. I think I will most likely drop psychology as the rest of them are more facilitating for applying to universities.
    I love Ibz Mos Cambridge vlogs and Unjaded Jade too, her videos really got me into biology! I also sometimes watch a you-tuber called Eve Bennet who does A level videos.
    Thanks so much for your help and good luck with your studying too x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoalipxo)
    Thanks so much, you really put things into perspective for me. I am still waiting on a coupe of results from my progress test and I have a meeting with my head of year about post 18 options next week which should give me an idea of what to drop, because as you say 4 subjects is such a huge workload. My subject teachers all want me to continue with their subject, but none of them think I should do 4 A levels. I think I will most likely drop psychology as the rest of them are more facilitating for applying to universities.
    I love Ibz Mos Cambridge vlogs and Unjaded Jade too, her videos really got me into biology! I also sometimes watch a you-tuber called Eve Bennet who does A level videos.
    Thanks so much for your help and good luck with your studying too x
    No problem! Good Luck. I have a meeting with my head of year today, funnily enough. Strange! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.