Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PlayStation or Xbox? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)
    To be fair they're actually very cheap if you do it right. Wait until your "normal" computer needs replacing, then spend a extra £150 on the replacement to make it a gaming one.

I did this about a year ago and I swear I must have spent over 150 on xbox live multiplayer alone before
    Yeah that's a fair point, free online on pc is great
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    That's not what I said. "pc isn't just for gaming" > yeah most people already have a pc who they can do other things with, they're looking for a dedicated gaming machine. Nor do people want to spend £600 to get a 1080ti just so they can masturbate over their 4k

5 years? same as a pc then :rofl:
    not really. I rocked a 690 for nearly 5 years before getting 2 1080ti this summer after my gcses. Also, if you take away the 300quid for the cost of PS4 and add it to your price of a computer, you can easily get a high spec build, not a 4k by any means but you can play 1080p or even 1440p at mid/high settings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    not really. I rocked a 690 for nearly 5 years before getting 2 1080ti this summer after my gcses. Also, if you take away the 300quid for the cost of PS4 and add it to your price of a computer, you can easily get a high spec build, not a 4k by any means but you can play 1080p or even 1440p at mid/high settings.
    what you're saying is spend £500 on a pc so you can play at 1440p instead of £200 to play at 1080? sounds like a good deal. /s

consoles dictate the graphics of games, devs will always make games for consoles first and then port it to pc. There won't be a massive difference in graphics even if you get quad sli titan x.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me if I am wrong but you can't actually do half the stuff on console than you can do on PC. Besides, PC isn't just for gaming and has a variety of other uses unlike consoles which can only be used to play games etc. Also, a console gets old every 2-3 year, PC doesn't. You can use a good pc for about 7-9 years and the money you spend on it is worth it. I have built countless gaming stations over the past 3 years and have played on every single console including the new Xbox One X and PC by far is the best device to play games on.

On topic now, OP I would suggest you get a Playstation because it is much better technically or get an Xbox if your friends own xbox because you don't wanna play solo all the time and it can get boring.
    Everyone already has a pc so that's irrelevant, and a console does not get old after 2 years, stop blatantly lying.
    (Original post by Chaz254)
    Everyone has a PC that can run Microsoft Word and Google Chrome but that's it. Having a PC with high enough specs to comfortably play games however is a different story.
    can we all just agree that video games are awesome despite what u play them on (even if some of use dosen't have £1000 to blow on a gaming pc )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    can we all just agree that video games are awesome despite what u play them on (even if some of use dosen't have £1000 to blow on a gaming pc )
    That isn't the debate though. I'm sure people would agree video games are awesome lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I never said consoles are bad. I just said pc gives you more flexibility with what yuo can do with your games i.e. mod them, edit them etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz254)
    That isn't the debate though. I'm sure people would agree video games are awesome lol
    hell yeh they are , i wish my family would understand it a little more rather than completely disregard it , i play games cause it's a nice break from reality and from what's going on in my life e.g social life and school . What do u think
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    what you're saying is spend £500 on a pc so you can play at 1440p instead of £200 to play at 1080? sounds like a good deal. /s

consoles dictate the graphics of games, devs will always make games for consoles first and then port it to pc. There won't be a massive difference in graphics even if you get quad sli titan x.
    lol'ed so hard at this. Clearly goes to show you know nothing about pc gaming as you are blind to whatever anyone says.

ReputationRep:
    lol'ed so hard at this. Clearly goes to show you know nothing about pc gaming as you are blind to whatever anyone says.
    Either dispute it or keep loling yourself over buying 2 1080tis.

ReputationRep:
    hell yeh they are , i wish my family would understand it a little more rather than completely disregard it , i play games cause it's a nice break from reality and from what's going on in my life e.g social life and school . What do u think
    Absolutely agree
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Either dispute it or keep loling yourself over buying 2 1080tis.
    Please. I wll show u some stats which actually show graphics are not the same on console and pc but rn, I have to get other work done so I will quote you whenever I am free. Till then, I will lol at myself for buying 2 1080tis because fun fact, I can afford them unlike some people

ReputationRep:
    Please. I wll show u some stats which actually show graphics are not the same on console and pc but rn, I have to get other work done so I will quote you whenever I am free. Till then, I will lol at myself for buying 2 1080tis because fun fact, I can afford them unlike some people
    I didn't say the same, you'll get a higher res and frames but it will fundamentally be the same game, same ai, same mechanics. A console is the most efficient way to game.

Congrats

ReputationRep:
    PC

ReputationRep:
    PC instead. Can be more expensive, but the pros massively, massively outweigh the cons.

Think of it as more of a long-term investment. Don't listen to trolls like laissez, he's bullsharting. You don't have to replace parts after 2 years, more like after 5-6, the same life cycle as a console.

Free online multiplayer, cheaper games, more customization, it's great.

ReputationRep:
    How did it turn into a pc vs console thread within the first few posts?

PC is better on paper and personally I prefer it, but I can personally see why people prefer their console.

As for the 'cost of PC',you can built a nice pc for a pretty cheap price and if you play console you have to pay like £40 a year for online which is stupid imo. And the on pc the games are slightly cheaper, its moddable etc. At the end of the day it doesnt matter what you play on as long as you're having fun.

As for the actual thread, I think PS4 is better but the Xbox 1 X has most likely done bits

ReputationRep:
    PlayStation for sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    PlayStation - far better exclusives, such as bloodborne. My Xbox collects just sits there collecting dust most of the time, as there is hardly any reason to play it, Ps4 is far better imo and I have a reason to play it (exclusives), however one thing that Xbox has over ps4 is that you get to keep your games with gold forever.

Having said that PC is better than both; biggest library, free online, it's the most customisable, better graphics. The advantages of pc over console is endless really...

ReputationRep:
    Neither, the best 8th generation console is of course the Wii U

ReputationRep:
    PPCCCC

ReputationRep:
    Playstation (personally I feel like PS3 was better than PS4) by far
    However, xbox does have Halo so that's a slight advantage.
    Alot of you guys are saying PC, I like playing GTA on PC, the graphics are really good, you play against actual people oh and you know dem ones when people run you over with their cars when you just start the game

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.