Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for a course in Psychology and Counselling - I was studying Psychology at Cardiff this year but dropped out as the course was too general and I know I want to be a counsellor. Plus, I couldn't stand stats.
    So far I'm thinking of applying to Psychology and Counselling at Roehampton and Counselling at UEL. However I'm aware that these aren't particularly well-ranked unis. I got really good grades and sort of feel that I *should* go somewhere really well-ranked (I may apply for Psychology at Bath as a 'just in case' too).
    So my questions are:
    -What unis should I apply for? Is it better to do a course I'm actually interested in at a 'bad' uni than one I don't like at a really well-ranked one?
    -Has anyone had experience at UEL or Roehampton (or any London unis) that could tell me what they are like?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I go to Roehampton! I do straight Psychology not P&C but I really enjoy psychology there and everyone I know who does P&C thinks it’s really good too. But there is still some stats going on for P&C at Roehampton. But I think it’s a lovely Uni, maybe not top ranked but a really friendly and nice place to study! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you dont like stats then avoid any course that is heavily science based or deals with 'experimental psychology'. BA courses tend to be less 'sciencey' and more Humanities focussed than BSc but read the course descriptions carefully. Lancaster or Essex offer BA degrees, or you could look at degrees like Childhood Studies (Bristol and others) that incorporate Psychology with a Social Science focus.

And make sure that the course is accredited by BPS : https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist - this gives you professional status on graduation..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.