Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's some context: I applied to the US for Classical studies (started in Oct 2017) and UK for Medicine (starts Sep 2018) after receiving my A level. Medicine has always been my first choice and classical studies- a second. I did not think highly of my chances of getting into Med school so i went ahead with CS. I am currently in the US but a couple of days back, i heard the unexpected! I had a place in a medical school in the UK! I have always wanted to do med for many reasons, but some relatives have been telling me that i should just carry on with classical studies because it'll enable me to graduate earlier and start working for $$. Also, they mentioned that by withdrawing from CS to pursue medicine, i would have wasted a year's worth of time and money- and that giving up so much for med school wouldn't be worth it. I am quite bent on going against them as my family is supportive of me, we are very fortunately not bound by financial constraints and med school is a dream come true, though my relatives do raise a valid point. Should i really give up on my dreams of going to med school because of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alienated122333)
    Here's some context: I applied to the US for Classical studies (started in Oct 2017) and UK for Medicine (starts Sep 2018) after receiving my A level. Medicine has always been my first choice and classical studies- a second. I did not think highly of my chances of getting into Med school so i went ahead with Sociology. I am currently in the US but a couple of days back, i heard the unexpected! I had a place in a medical school in the UK! I have always wanted to do med for many reasons, but some relatives have been telling me that i should just carry on with classical studies because it'll enable me to graduate earlier and start working for $$. Also, they mentioned that by withdrawing from CS to pursue medicine, i would have wasted a year's worth of time and money- and that giving up so much for med school wouldn't be worth it. I am quite bent on going against them as my family is supportive of me, we are very fortunately not bound by financial constraints and med school is a dream come true, though my relatives do raise a valid point. Should i really give up on my dreams of going to med school because of this?
    Nooooo, go for medicine especially if you have a place! Hundreds will give everything to be in your shoes. A year in a lifetime career of medicine is nothing.

PS You can tell them in a few years' time (granted, a few years after you would have graduated if you did classics) you will easily earn £50+/hour doing locum work. I doubt you can do that with classics

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing a degree I didn't particularly want to do for 3 years. It was a means to an end and the only thing that kept me going was the fact that I knew I could apply to medicine with it which would make up for my quite modest A Levels. I worked hard for a 2:1, but I really did not enjoy it. You don't want to be in my shoes but also with the added pressure that you don't have medicine at the end of it, and that your family may be even more qualmed about wasting your time if you did want to do it after.
    Money wise; my friend got a place in medical school this year and had to turn it down because she could not fund it.

You are so so fortunate to be in the position you are in. You want to study medicine, you are passionate about it, and you have the means to do so. The world needs doctors that are passionate about such a challenging career, please don't waste such a humbling opportunity to do something that you will love. You will thank yourself one day. Even if I was saying this as someone who thinks medicine is the worst career in the world (and many think it is), I would always encourage you that a career should be something your passionate about, and not about the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhchambe)
    I've been doing a degree I didn't particularly want to do for 3 years. It was a means to an end and the only thing that kept me going was the fact that I knew I could apply to medicine with it which would make up for my quite modest A Levels. I worked hard for a 2:1, but I really did not enjoy it. You don't want to be in my shoes but also with the added pressure that you don't have medicine at the end of it, and that your family may be even more qualmed about wasting your time if you did want to do it after.
    Money wise; my friend got a place in medical school this year and had to turn it down because she could not fund it.

You are so so fortunate to be in the position you are in. You want to study medicine, you are passionate about it, and you have the means to do so. The world needs doctors that are passionate about such a challenging career, please don't waste such a humbling opportunity to do something that you will love. You will thank yourself one day. Even if I was saying this as someone who thinks medicine is the worst career in the world (and many think it is), I would always encourage you that a career should be something your passionate about, and not about the money.
    You are not bad as an inspiration yourself. Good luck in your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    You are not bad as an inspiration yourself. Good luck in your application!
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Nooooo, go for medicine especially if you have a place! Hundreds will give everything to be in your shoes. A year in a lifetime career of medicine is nothing.

PS You can tell them in a few years' time (granted, a few years after you would have graduated if you did classics) you will easily earn £50+/hour doing locum work. I doubt you can do that with classics
    Thank you so much for your input xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhchambe)

I initially intended on doing what you were did (aka applying for grad school at the end of 3 years). Thank you so much for sharing your experience and helping me redefine the situation. (: You have no idea how much it helped. Best of luck in your journey towards medicine as well! I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.