Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No idea what career path I want to go down. Can somebody set me off? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prabay)
    Hey, I'm 16 and live in the United Kingdom. I am studying economics, history and geography and in one years time I will need to pick a university and degree to attend. Do I even want to attend university? I honestly don't know, my work ethic is hardly world class.

I am an Irish citizen and so have the ability to study in the European Union and this could be a good idea as tuition fees are, generally, much lower on the continent and it's a good opportunity to experience a different way of living. I live in a very deprived part of the United Kingdom and to be frank - I'm sick of the country.

Building on the prior point - I'd like to live elsewhere and so any career path I go down must give me the option to move abroad.

The thing is - I don't know what career I'd like, degree I'd like or university I could attend and I don't have many interests. I'm consumed by the want to self-improve and yet I can never be bothered to do that so I just pretend I'm doing work or play games. Fun times.

Enough of the self-pity though - I don't have many interests besides economics and politics and even then I'm not sure if I'd want anything to do with these topics when it comes to careers.

I don't really want to be constrained to a desk all day and because of this I considered possible freelance work (on a slightly related point, operating a video camera seems like it could be fun but I don't know about the plausibility of that and I've never tried it). I've also heard of jobs where you can work from home, that sounds pretty decent as it'd give me the opportunity to move around and do work while visiting places and such.

What can I do to work out what I want to do in life? I'm from a rather low-income family, can I afford to take a gap year? I know many places such as Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan and so on offer working holiday visas. Thanks!
    The best thing to do is probably follow on from your favourite a level and find a course which looks enjoyable to you. I’m also in year 12 too and personally I’ll probably pick a course because it’ll lead me into a job I want in the future. So that’s another way of potentially deciding. Sorry if this hasn’t been particularly helpful; I’m not the most qualified person for this sort of stuff😅
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try to identify a few career routes that you find interesting and then do more research - internet, talking to people in that career, or you could organise some work experience. This would give you a great insight into whether you would like a particular career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.