Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Umm, does the degree come with the associated knowledge, or do I just get the certificate? If it's the latter, I'd take the money. Not much point in me having a degree if I don't have the skills and knowledge to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    50k, with 50k you can invest in so much more than a pointless certificate that means nothing

ReputationRep:
    I would take the 50k, and use it to pay for a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm whilst the cash is deeply tempting i think i'll stick with my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    That's what they have you believe. So many graduates don't make **** for a long time.

I'd have taken the money and completed the degree myself, when I was at uni. That would have kept me going while working, and maybe would have funded a postgrad degree too.

Who's "they"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    What would you rather have the degree you're studying right now or £50,000 in cash. Talking particular to non STEM and medicine/dentistry peps
    The degree. It might take a few years to save up 50k, but I am doing a job that I find fun. Soo... yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Take the £50,000, do an OU course and get a degree and about £35k left
    I like your thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Take the 50k, complete an affordable degree (as previously suggested!) and save the change.

ReputationRep:
    What would you rather have the degree you're studying right now or £50,000 in cash. Talking particular to non STEM and medicine/dentistry peps
    Have the degree.

Taking 50k in cash is something that a short-term type of person would do.

Over your lifetime, 50k is a mere drop in the Caspian sea.

ReputationRep:
    Take the £50k and start a new degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
    Money and invest in my own company - idk man.
    take 50K gamble and triple the amount

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I would take the degree, then I can make back the 50k within a few years.
    what even if it was something *****y like an english degree

ReputationRep:
    If you take the cash you will be able to get a degree without having to take out a loan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    what even if it was something *****y like an english degree
    A lot of grad jobs dont care what degree you do, only that you have one so that argument doesnt really work....

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the lot and spend the whole £50k on a buncha hookers and cocaine

Spoiler:
    Show

jk

(Original post by Dr Pesto)
      Who's "they"?
      The universities :dunce:

ReputationRep:
      Take 50k and invest
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      Degree all the way. If you are doing a degree that in the long run will get u more and u enjoy it... why not?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blue_Cow)
      Have the degree.

Taking 50k in cash is something that a short-term type of person would do.

Over your lifetime, 50k is a mere drop in the Caspian sea.
      If the 50k is interest free, it is technically "cheaper" than the 50k you'd have to relinquish for your degree (supposing your degree is a regular 3 year degree). Therefore rather than being a short-term type thing to do, it is very much the opposite.

ReputationRep:
      How about both.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.