Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum always shouts at me for not doing housework. I'm 17 and I have two brothers who are 23 and 25. I'm in full time education and I have a 6 hour job on Saturday. One of my brothers only works on weekends and the other is unemployed currently. on Saturdays I'm usually too tired to do any house chores after work. SUndays, (although I admit I can be a bit lazy) is the only time I can revise, do homework annd spend time on my coursework. When my mum comes home in the afternoon she only ever shouts at me for not doing the housework and I've noticed that she shouts at me for the smallest of mistakes I make. She is really critical and I've always had low self esteem.

Am I really lazy or should my brothers take responsibility too? She doesn't shout at them for not doing housework, and she openly admits that it doesn't matter whose at home, or how busy I am, I should be the one to do the housework.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum always shouts at me for not doing housework. I'm 17 and I have two brothers who are 23 and 25. I'm in full time education and I have a 6 hour job on Saturday. One of my brothers only works on weekends and the other is unemployed currently. on Saturdays I'm usually too tired to do any house chores after work. SUndays, (although I admit I can be a bit lazy) is the only time I can revise, do homework annd spend time on my coursework. When my mum comes home in the afternoon she only ever shouts at me for not doing the housework and I've noticed that she shouts at me for the smallest of mistakes I make. She is really critical and I've always had low self esteem.

Am I really lazy or should my brothers take responsibility too? She doesn't shout at them for not doing housework, and she openly admits that it doesn't matter whose at home, or how busy I am, I should be the one to do the housework.
    I don't know why a female would be sexist against another female...

It sounds like it might be more like favouritism? But idk your family etc so don't take my word lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Your mother is a narcissistic, bigoted cretin.

Yes she is sexist.

As to your question...Am I really lazy or should my brothers take responsibility too?
      No you are not lazy at all.And yes your brothers should take responsibility.One of them is not working.So he should get up and do some house work.

(Original post by Chaz254)
      I don't know why a female would be sexist against another female...

It sounds like it might be more like favouritism? But idk your family etc so don't take my word lol
      I was a bit rebellious and I still am but I do a lot of work and I'm a really committed student. I don;t fit the conventional standard that my mum expects of women. In comparison to my older sister who is a mum of 3, I'm not a "good" girl.

ReputationRep:
      If she's not treating your brothers the same then yeah, that's pretty bad of her. I guess you could ask your brothers to help you, or set up a housework schedule together that suits all of you. Then you can all just be like "well the work is done so why are you complaining?"

ReputationRep:
      She sounds old fashioned. I'd understand if they were made to do traditionally "manly" jobs round the house like putting the bins out, mowing the lawn, doing any DIY and stuff like that. If they do literally nothing, though then that's unfair, and either way it doesn't sound like your brothers will be able to look after themselves when they move out :lol:

ReputationRep:
      No.

(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
      She sounds old fashioned. I'd understand if they were made to do traditionally "manly" jobs round the house like putting the bins out, mowing the lawn, doing any DIY and stuff like that. If they do literally nothing, though then that's unfair, and either way it doesn't sound like your brothers will be able to look after themselves when they move out :lol:
      they do work and some of the traditionally male things you mentioned. It' not like they don't do anything. but in comparison to me they have a lot more free time on their hands, even on the weekdays why can't my mum ask them to do some chores throughout the day when she's at work and I'm at school. It's just annoying.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      they do work and some of the traditionally male things you mentioned. It' not like they don't do anything. but in comparison to me they have a lot more free time on their hands, even on the weekdays why can't my mum ask them to do some chores throughout the day when she's at work and I'm at school. It's just annoying.
      Well either way, as I said, your mum is actually doing them a disservice by doing this. I have a sister and I was always taught how to clean, cook and all that, and now as an adult I'm capable of looking after myself.

ReputationRep:
      No

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.