Turn on thread page Beta

Do other languages have phonics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, is it just the English language? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. It seems other languages use ‘accents’ instead. Examples: á, ë, ī, õ, ù

So it is just the English language which has phonics? Incase I got this wrong. Some examples of phonics as in: th, sh, eigh, oa, ch, igh, ea, ect
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Other languages have phonemes, but as far as I am aware, phonics is a method of teaching English only.

ReputationRep:
    From the limited research I did about reading development/dyslexia at university in my final year, most other countries most don't have phonics/ an equivalent, but it depends on how transparent/opaque their orthographies are. By that I mean, how easy it is to guess what a word says with correct pronunciation - English is horrible for this (it has a "deep/opaque orthography" ), that's why the look-and-say/flashcard method was ditched and replaced by phonics. Some people with certain types of dyslexia find phonics easier, some with other types of dyslexia find the flashcard method better.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.