Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do other languages have phonics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, is it just the English language? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. It seems other languages use ‘accents’ instead. Examples: á, ë, ī, õ, ù

So it is just the English language which has phonics? Incase I got this wrong. Some examples of phonics as in: th, sh, eigh, oa, ch, igh, ea, ect
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Other languages have phonemes, but as far as I am aware, phonics is a method of teaching English only.

ReputationRep:
    From the limited research I did about reading development/dyslexia at university in my final year, most other countries most don't have phonics/ an equivalent, but it depends on how transparent/opaque their orthographies are. By that I mean, how easy it is to guess what a word says with correct pronunciation - English is horrible for this (it has a "deep/opaque orthography" ), that's why the look-and-say/flashcard method was ditched and replaced by phonics. Some people with certain types of dyslexia find phonics easier, some with other types of dyslexia find the flashcard method better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.