Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PhD in Oxford with a good MA and a so-so BA. Is it possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Applying for a PhD in Oxford didn't really cross my mind until when, due to a series of unexpected events, I ended up with a recommendation and a meeting with a perspective supervisor.

While I have a strong research project, buckets of enthusiasm and plenty of relevant experience, I don't think I meet the admission requirements.

I have a 2:1 in my BA, but is not a high one, and a strong B in my MA (I got it abroad). Could it be enough?
    Of course I will need funding and I am aware of the harsh competition. Is it worth trying?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You have to consider key questions:
    How competitive is the course you're applying for?
    Have alumni from your academic institutions progressed onto Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    You have to consider key questions:
    How competitive is the course you're applying for?
    Have alumni from your academic institutions progressed onto Oxford?
    Thanks for your answer.

The PhD is in a pretty specific social science field, so it shouldn't be that sought after. Still, getting a scolarshio will probably be harder.

About the alumni of my institution, I really have no way to know. Maybe from my BA, but my Uni was pretty low in the rankings (EU student, had no idea of what I was doing when I appplied). My MA one is better, but it was abroad. I think students are more likely to get a PhD in country, as they get a better deal and great pay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechapenguin)
    Thanks for your answer.

The PhD is in a pretty specific social science field, so it shouldn't be that sought after. Still, getting a scolarshio will probably be harder.

About the alumni of my institution, I really have no way to know. Maybe from my BA, but my Uni was pretty low in the rankings (EU student, had no idea of what I was doing when I appplied). My MA one is better, but it was abroad. I think students are more likely to get a PhD in country, as they get a better deal and great pay.
    Yep scholarship will be a challenge, I'd say send the application through perhaps they'll take you due to low applicants & experience and if not there are other credible institutions in the UK, EU and US (Find out how it works out there too!)
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Yep scholarship will be a challenge, I'd say send the application through perhaps they'll take you due to low applicants & experience and if not there are other credible institutions in the UK, EU and US (Find out how it works out there too!)
    All the best
    I've also been thinking of applying to Oxford, probably a long shot to be accepted, but their website said that they fund 75% of their PhD students, and the course I am thinking of applying for has a 25% acceptance rate, based on the last 3 years records.

So whilst I think being offered a place is probably hard, due to the likely strong competition, but once offered a place, funding should be easier, certainly compared to ESRC or AHRC funding, if those figures are correct.

The decent funding structure is the only reason I am thinking of applying to Oxford, as I just about meet their entry requirements (Under grad 2:1 + Master's Distinction), as given the strong competition, the likely rejection is not going to do my confidence much good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechapenguin)
    Applying for a PhD in Oxford didn't really cross my mind until when, due to a series of unexpected events, I ended up with a recommendation and a meeting with a perspective supervisor.
    Oxford don't do PhDs - they do DPhils.

While I have a strong research project, buckets of enthusiasm and plenty of relevant experience, I don't think I meet the admission requirements.

I have a 2:1 in my BA, but is not a high one, and a strong B in my MA (I got it abroad). Could it be enough?
    Of course I will need funding and I am aware of the harsh competition. Is it worth trying?
    What subject area? Have you talked to the University?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.