Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggle with finding second year flatmates Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I currently live on campus with 10 other people! We all agreed it would be pretty much impossible to find a house altogether so we thought we would split in half. However, 6 of them decided, in secret, to group off and go looking for houses without telling the rest of us. This wouldn't have been that much of a problem if it weren't for the fact that the only other girl has made other arrangements and I don't really want to live with 3 guys on my own (that I'm also not particularly friendly with). I feel completely thrown under the bus as they had been planning this for over a month and have only told us now that we have very little time left to find accommodation. I even told them that I had nobody else who I could live with and they still wouldn't compromise. It was particularly upsetting as one of the girls I considered as a good friend and even bought tickets for us to go to see a concert she wanted to go to together. I have no idea what to do now. Should I speak to them and try and get them to compromise? Should I look for someone else to live with and if so how (so many people just live with their first-year flatmates)? should I find a house on my own as depressing as that sounds?

Edit: my uni doesn't allow you to stay on campus for second year unless you literally can' find anywhere in town so that's out of the picture.

ReputationRep:
    Does your uni offer halls for second years? Having a house as a student really isn’t a be all and end all, they are usually in horrendous conditions and overcrowded.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Does your uni offer halls for second years? Having a house as a student really isn’t a be all and end all, they are usually in horrendous conditions and overcrowded.
    At my uni staying on campus for second year is virtually impossible and I would just have to face this issue again for third year.

ReputationRep:
    Is there not a Facebook group or some kind of message board at your university for people in a similar situation. It’s really cruddy what your housemates have done but sadly a lot of people are really selfish.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Is there not a Facebook group or some kind of message board at your university for people in a similar situation. It’s really cruddy what your housemates have done but sadly a lot of people are really selfish.
    I think there may be but I don't know how to find it. I still have to live with these people til June as well. That's yet another issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.