Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a semi-regular poster on here as a medical student, but now I only occasionally dip in and out, but I thought this might be a nice forum to gauge if this is national! I am an F2 and we recently had a 'careers talk' as part of our 'protected teaching'. The first question the lady leading the session asked was 'who is applying this year?'....and only 1 person raised their hand! Are you guys finding the same in your hospitals?

ReputationRep:
    Last year it was 51%% that were in NHS employment by March the following year, and that figure has been falling steeply in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    would that have to do with the working conditions? Are they applying to other countries?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I have been planning taking an F3 year since about the 3rd year of medical school. 5 years of medical school followed by 2 years of working just feels like enough you know. I didn't take a gap year or anything and didn't have much money through uni so I would like to travel and do some fun stuff while I'm still young. I think it's a pretty common mindset
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I know 3 people from my F2 year who are currently in core training. Everyone else is either doing a CDF post, long-term locum or traveling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainBow_xo)
    would that have to do with the working conditions? Are they applying to other countries?
    A bit of both. As mentioned above, med school can just seem like exam after exam, then when you qualify, depending on rotation, it can be long intense days with barely time for a toilet break, and rapid cycling long days evenings weekends and nights and after two years of that you're almost 30 and you haven't done anything with your life yet. If you've managed to keep any friends you're doing well. For a lot of people, its time for a break and the current recruitment crisis, aside from exacerbating the aforementioned problems, also means that the NHS will welcome you back with open arms even after a full year doing nothing medical!

Most people do come back and work or NHS again, though. I don't have data but I'm certain that is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    ...rapid cycling long days evenings weekends and nights and after two years of that you're almost 30 and you haven't done anything with your life yet. If you've managed to keep any friends you're doing well....
    You are so right on this This is why I try to do additional things when I work, like teaching in other to just break the cycle a little bit. It also helps that we have a fairly good work-life balance in our specialty. This is probably why us and dermatology are 2 of the most competitive (big) specialties in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    It also helps that we have a fairly good work-life balance in our specialty. This is probably why us and dermatology are 2 of the most competitive (big) specialties in medicine.
    Which specialty do you work in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOO93)
    Which specialty do you work in?

Neurology

ReputationRep:
    I do think foundation docs misunderstand that you can have years out within a specialty training programme though.
    I would be ST4 in paeds but am currently on my second year out since ST1 doing a teaching fellow job with a funded PGCert.
    Training programmes are more flexible than you think, but obviously this only helps if you know what specialty training you want to do.
    I think an F3 year is a great idea to get experience of different specialties for the undecided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    I do think foundation docs misunderstand that you can have years out within a specialty training programme though.
    I would be ST4 in paeds but am currently on my second year out since ST1 doing a teaching fellow job with a funded PGCert.
    Training programmes are more flexible than you think, but obviously this only helps if you know what specialty training you want to do.
    I think an F3 year is a great idea to get experience of different specialties for the undecided.
    I would love to have done a teaching fellow job, but instead I now use all my admin time to teach and stay after hours to do my admin...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.