Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Didn’t get invited to Christmas meal at work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I’ve been working at my job for 3 weeks now as a temp worker with the possibility to be kept on after Christmas. There was a list with all the permanent workers names on it saying to cross their names out if they can’t come to the meal so the manager can update the reservation at the restaurant and as there wasn’t any temporary workers names on it I just thought we probably didn’t get invited because there is too many of us and the table is going to be big as it is and probably because they don’t know us that well yet (I understand) but I found out tonight that 2 of the temporary workers went to the meal?? I kinda feel a bit pissed off that 2 went and the rest of us didn’t... my friend said maybe because they jumped in and asked about it and the rest of us didn’t say anything.. I don’t know but it just feel a little left out as I’m trying to make as good as an impression as I can while working here so it’s really knocked my confidence. One of the girls who went to the meal have no intention of staying on working there after Christmas!
    What do you guys think of this? I know you don’t have the answers but if you was in this position what would you do and feel? I feel kinda upset about it.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask the other temporary staff how they got invited? I would be a little disappointed if I was in your shoes, but don't let it affect your confidence and your work manner. Keep trying your best, and your efforts will pay off, be it being offered a permanent job or getting a good reference for your next role 🙂

ReputationRep:
    If you're only going to be there temporarily, then I wouldn't let it bother you as you won' be around in job and the employees for long. If you do get permanent status then I'd still not let it bother you because I'm sure you have people in your life that want to spend time with you outside of your work life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be disappointed too if other temp workers were invited but not myself, less so if it was just permanent staff who went. You could always try asking the temp workers who went how they got invited etc etc but it's not exactly a major blow. Don't let it affect your confidence, if you're only there as a temp you'll be moving on to a new job pretty soon and if you stay, you'll get to know the other staff better and be invited to the next outing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me last year but it was because I was not on the same mailing list as the rest of the company as I was a new starter. It's not a big deal really, just go out with your friends.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's not very considerate of the company to do that. But try not to think much of it, it could be that the other girls specifically asked, it could be that they ended up with a couple of places last minute and asked the first people they saw, could be that the person organising it like those girls better... none of that will necessarily have any impact on whether or not you get hired.

ReputationRep:
    Heya. The girl that ended up going said she was working the day of the dinner out and she was talking to one of the permanent staff and they said she could just along if she wanted although the dinner wasn’t mean for temporary workers. It just pissed me off also as technically she only got asked because she was there at the time but she was posting it on snapchat like ‘Snapchat with the work crew’ blah blah blah 😴
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I'd be disappointed too if other temp workers were invited but not myself, less so if it was just permanent staff who went. You could always try asking the temp workers who went how they got invited etc etc but it's not exactly a major blow. Don't let it affect your confidence, if you're only there as a temp you'll be moving on to a new job pretty soon and if you stay, you'll get to know the other staff better and be invited to the next outing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisepurple8)
    Heya. The girl that ended up going said she was working the day of the dinner out and she was talking to one of the permanent staff and they said she could just along if she wanted although the dinner wasn’t mean for temporary workers. It just pissed me off also as technically she only got asked because she was there at the time but she was posting it on snapchat like ‘Snapchat with the work crew’ blah blah blah 😴
    In that case she's just made herself look silly on Snapchat considering she won't even be there in a couple of months and has latched onto other people already. Like everyone else has said, don't let it bother you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.